Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what should I ground my CB too?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by unick, Jun 2, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I get terrible feedback from my engine and power window moters. Right now I have the ground going to the dash cause I figured Id keep it short but its not working verry well. What if I ran the ground to the seat frame?

lmk
    Nick

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

MIne is going under dash also. I'd try to make sure you scrape the paint around where you hook it, and use a lock washer to secure it. It won't hurt to try another ground either. If all else fails , most shops like radio shack/stereo places/Fry's Electronics etc , have ground loop isolator kits. Basically installs inline on power and ground wires to arrest the noise. Been lazy , I have noise on AM on my stereo also ( but not cb, go figure ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If you ran the ground to the seat frame it would be no different than to the dash. You can try to hook the ground directly to battery and see if it helps. The way I usually do this is to run a temporary jumper from the radio and go out the door up over the fender under the hood and to the battery, that way I can see if it helps before spending time to run it through the body. No sense on going through the firewall if it doesn't help with the noise.

Is the motor noise constant or does it change pitch with engine speed? If it is constant then it is probably coming from the fuel pump if you have an electric one. You can check this by having the radio on and turn on the key but don't start the engine and see if the noise goes away after the fuel pump stops building pressure. If it is the fuel pump causing it then maybe try a noise filter from radio shack, I've used these with varied success.

If it varies with engine speed try running power and ground wires for the cb directly to the battery. Make sure you have a good engine to battery ground and cab to engine ground. Another that may work is to ground the case of the radio also by using on of the screws on the side that holds the covers on.

Good luck, interference is often complicated to track down.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ill try running both of the wire to the batery. Havent tried that yet. The sound does change with speed.

Thanx for the info guys
    Nick

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ill try running both of the wire to the batery. Havent tried that yet. The sound does change with speed.

Thanx for the info guys
    Nick

[/ QUOTE ]Run the positive to the battery, but make the negitive as short as possible. Ground it to the nearest metal sorce.