Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Should I pay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bronckelly, May 16, 2005.

1. Bronckelly

Bronckelly Registered Member

I'm going to have quoted front and rear axle rebuilds today for my 71 k5. I want to change both ring and pinions, new rear shafts (which i will provide), have a complete "gone thru" rebuild on both the 12 bolt rear, and the d44 front....and i think i want installed 4:10 f/r because i'm going to 33's soon. What kind of money should i expect to pay for the labor here if i'm supplying the rear shafts, and both ring and pinions? I'm having a couple of places quote it, but i want to know what you all think.

Thanks in advance,

BroncKelly

2. Bronckelly

One shop told me $800 for each axle if they supply the ring gear and pinions for each.....seems about $300 per axle high to me. More to come.....

Anyone???

BroncKelly

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

the 4x4 shop here gets $250-$300 for the install per axle. any parts are extra.i just had front d60 and rear 14ff regeared i had the rear bearings, new 4.88 gears new carrier for the 60. new bearings etc they also installed a lock right in the 60 (i supplied it) total was $1200 :mad:

4. Bronckelly

Another shop quoted me for: new carriers for both, 4:11's f/r, bearings, seals, fluids, etc. $1600 for both. (if i supply the rear axle shafts)....$1,200 w/o new carriers....if not needed.

BroncKelly

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like it's axle swap time? i would look for a 3/4 ton set of axles. most had 4.10's stock. you do have to upgrade to the 8 lug rims but you can probably find a set of axles thats ready to run for way cheaper! :dunno:

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Would be cheaper to find a set of 3/4 ton axles with 4.11's and swap them in your self. You could do it under $1000

7. Bronckelly

That would be nice, but then i'd be buying used parts, and will the calipers for my front d44 disc brakes fit onto a d60? Some conversion would have to happen then for the brakes. So really, i need to weigh the cost of all new equipment on my current axles vs. the cost savings of 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles with used parts (which may need replacing). Plus brake work. I don't know, i don't know!!!..... :o

It's a nice problem to have though. Thanks for the help. :grin:

BroncKelly

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

hey go to http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/ there cheap as hell and not to far from you, i got parts from them and there super cheap, the cheapest actually any were, but try them, and if you dont mind let me know if you do how much to b/c Im about to swap gears myself

9. Bronckelly

Bhintz,

I called those guys, and i actually know where they are. For my 12 bolt rear/d44 front, they quoted me:

Rear:
    New Eaton rear carrier posi-trac
    New yukon 30 spline axle rear shafts
    4:11 R&P
    New bearings, seals etc,

Front:
    New Open carrier
    New 4:11 R&P
    New Bearings, Seals Etc.

All Parts + Install: $1591.19
    With Front Tru-Trac, Add: $331.69

They guaranteed the lowest price too.

BroncKelly

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

yea thats not bad considering all the new parts your getting, if I were you Id just do the 44/14bolt swap but if your set on this, dont get the eaton posi Ive heard nothing bad about those, I ran a truetrac in the back of my k5 for a while and worked great no complaints at all