Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I set my rev controller limit at?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 7, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My MSD rev controller come with three 'rpm modules' - 4000, 6000, and 8000 rpm. I can buy more (gee, thanks MSD) but I'm trying to figure out what to set it to.
    I have a mild 350.
    If I set it at 4000, I think that will be best. I try not to rev it too fast anyway, but when I'm in the mud I wonder if maybe I want it at 5000 instead? I would, of course, have to order the modules.
    The 6000 and 8000 are too far out there for me...
    -- Mike

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the 6k and 8k are too high for you then I guess you just answered your own question. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Try out the 4k and see if you ever even hit it, if you do then buy a 5k. A stock 350 should have no problem spinning 5k. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Like shaggy says a 350 will handle 5k pretty easily, when im out mudding in my old truck, the tach bounces off the 6k mark fairly regularly when im *almost*stuck. personnally id go with the 6k.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4,000 RPM won't even get you to the factory upshift point at wide open throttle with a stock automatic tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

When I am in the mud I am normally right at 5500-5800. I would say use the 6000 module. IMO 4000 is where an SBC is making good power.

Personally, I use a shift lite. I have it set at 6, but I dont want it breaking up or sputtering on me (rev limiter) if I do get up that high. I have taken mine to close to 8000 and its still alive. I dont plan on going that tight again tho. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input.
    This is what I'm going to do:
    Install the 4000. Let the engine warm up, then just stomp on it and see when the engine cuts out.
    I have a feeling that I will be installing the 6000 then.

What I'm wondering is if I'm in the middle of a mud pit flooring it and bouncing off the 6000 rev limit, if that will be too much for the 350. One of the reason I got this was just for that, so I could just gas it if needed and not worry about it.
    They sell a bundle of modules that includes 5000, 5200, 5400, 5600, and 5800. With a little experimenting, I think I'll be getting that bundle so I can get it just right.
    -- &lt;ike