Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size alt with winch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jul 6, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to install my new HS9500. I currently have a 180A alternator that is about 18 months old. Problem is that it is one from a local alternator/starter shop. It is a factory one reqound to 180A. As with most aftermarket no-name rebuild jobs like that, it doesn't put out crap at idle. And, after more than a year off-road abuse, I just don't have confidence in it anymore.

So, this time I am going to get the right one that I can be confident of and that has plenty of umph at idle. I am eyeing the Powermaster 140A unit (80 idle). I would love the 200A, but don't know what it would take to get the larger case on my motor. Also don't really like the $330 price tag. Would the 140A be sufficient with the winch considering I am also running dual batts? Is there another good, reliable name brand between the 140 and 200 Powermaster models?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Mean Green makes some pretty cool stuff from what I've heard. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no alternator will keep up with continuous winching.
    I was also looking at that 140, for the price point it looks hard to beat

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dual stocks or dual 140's could be an option also.... if ya got room.
    grant

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a SD350 w/ PSD ford and it came stock with dual altenators.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Put a smaller pulley on your alternator, it will make it spin faster and have a higher output /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    If you are really going to do continuous winch pulls (like Surprise Canyon or worse) then get a pair of the Odyssey Dry Cell 1700cca batteries. They are both high impulse and 100% discharge batteries all in one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Should be more than enough juice for any winch pull.

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Brian,

I have the Powermaster 140amp alt and it keeps up with my winching. I just winched a truck up a cliff at Blazer Fest, and it was a long pull, and very heavy load. I always crank the motor up to at least 2000 rpm before a pull, so I get maximum juice. Like was said, no alternator can keep up with severe winching, but mine keeps up enough to not kill the battery or anything (Optima Red Top)...my Powermaster came rated at 94 amps at idle (they send a test sheet with each one) and 151 at 2400 rpm...

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what do they cost?

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Can you get the powermaster stuff? I am looking at the 140A alternator and the XS staggered starter (pn 9512).

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, we sell it here - I have gotten several alternators for guys on the site. The 140a for your truck runs $174.95 regular retail...take 15% off and you come to $148.71 + shipping. Dang, one expensive starter - regular retail on the 9512 is $239.95...take off 15% and it comes to $203.96...

Let me know if you are interested in them...

Keith