Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size backspace to get? 15x10, 8 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toynova, Mar 11, 2003.

1. toynova

toynova Guest

I'm getting ready to do 6in lift on 88 3/4 burb. DD. I have a set of used SS tsl's 38x12.50 but they only measure 35 1/2 not mounted. I planned on grinding the calipers. Will be steel wheels. Thanks.
  2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Aug 28, 2002
    Well, 12.5 inches wide isn't that wide for such a big tire - I'd say go with 3.5 inches of backspacing. That'll work fine on the rear, and lessen the amount of grinding necessary on the front. You'll still have to do some - but it won't be as bad as if you go with 4" backspacing. And, with 3.5" of backspacing, your tires will still be under the rear fenders and maybe only a little out of the front fenders. Here's a pic of mine - 12.5" wide tires, 4" backspaced rims:
    So, your tires would only stick out 1/2" more on each side than mine.
  3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sep 7, 2001
    I agree with heavy4x4, the 3.5" backspacing minimizes the grinding. I used 15x10 with this backspacing on my 16/38 TSL's with great results - no grinding in the back with the disk conversion and caddy calipers.