Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size compressor for paint sprayer??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 29, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What is a good size compressor to use for painting a truck??
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Get the biggest one that you can afford to lay your hands on and never look back. I'm not a body man but it always seems you can find a tool that will push the limits of your air compressor pretty quickly. DA's are notorious for this. My air ratchet seems to require a great deal of air. Paint sprayers, Not sure but seems like they could use some air too.

3. 85mudblazin

bada bump /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can run a little 110 portable with a 20 or so gal tank for painting... i paint 50' boats with one and never have air issues (the joys of working out in the yard)... its usually screaming the whole time but does keep up...

blowguns are the worst, ala brakeline with an air fitting /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.. air DA's are right up there (and they suck)...

the biggiest air hog i use is my inline sander for bodywork, it'll take as much as you can give it... disc grinders are bad too...

air ratchets, impacts and die grinders suck a fair amount of air. tho they have time to build usually..

not up on my CFM rating for tools these days but i'm sure they list em..

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If you can afford it, get one w/ over 10 cfm @ 90 psi. Of course that'll be a hard wired 220v compressor, and it'll cost $500+. I had to recently give up my 220 compressor and get a 110 just a few months ago. It's an oil head compressor like my old one and puts out around 7/9 cfm @ 90/40 psi. Its a Craftsman Professional and I paid around $350 for it. With this setup impacts and air ratchets are no problem. As was said before, it's the DA that'll kill it. That along with an air file, a cutoff tool (like the die grinder, but bigger) and sander/grinders. These tools usually need 9 cfm @ 90 psi and my compressor can run 'em, but I have to stop every once in a while so the compressor can rest. As for your question though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.... IIRC, I think most good guns, siphon and gravity feed, need from 9-12 cfm @ 40psi, and its recomended that you get a compressor a couple cfm higher than the range you intend to use it. Of course if we all followed that advice we'd have some badass shop tools with no truck to use them on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 85mudblazin

I dotn really have 500+ to spend on a compressor I was looking to spend around 300-400 so I will just look around know that I know what I need, does sears have the one that you bought??

7. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a craftsman from sears 25gal tank for paint it's good most of my tools run fine with it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dotn really have 500+ to spend on a compressor I was looking to spend around 300-400 so I will just look around know that I know what I need, does sears have the one that you bought??

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is the one I got:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the link: air compressor
    If you are a Craftsman Club member you can get 10%+ off. It's on the web site for $370, but I think I paid around $340 w/ my disocunt.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It usually depends on how much you have to paint. I have a 24 gallon (I think) and with the impact, it has to run a bit more than with other tools. With the paint sprayer, they don't need alot of air, I'd say a small one will do you well, just not the ones you can buy with brad nailers, those would run all day...