Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size fuel cell do you run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Nov 23, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

I was just wondering what size fuel cells you all are running. My truck isnt going to drive on the street so it will be trailered to the trails. I was thinking of at least a 15+ gallon. Thanks for the help.

78chevy 3/4t 38.5 boggers. 105'' wheelbase.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i run 2 16 gallon summit tanks with baffling. at only 100 bucks a pop im going to get another one. i just plumed them both togther with a t fitting.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

personally, i think that's a bad idea... when you run out of gas, you're out of gas. where if you put a valve between the two, so you're only feeding from one, when one runs out you still have the other.

personally, i was planning on running a stock Blazer tank mounted in the bed on a custom mount. the tank was free, so all i would have had in it was materials to mount it, and filler neck mods. also would have worked very easily with the stock gauge, as the Blazer tank already had the proper 0-90ohm sender in it.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

40 gallon suburban tank between the frame rails out back -- She'll be a spicy one to keep well fed, lol

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You should figure about a gallon of fuel per hour on the trail. If you want to wheel a whole weekend most of the time I would get at least a 20 Gal. If you want to reduce weight, go with a 10 or less.

I run a 22 Gal Jaz Fuel cell. I can wheel two days and burn around 12 gal. I turn my rig off everytime we stop on the trail for those 2 hour BS and wait moments:rolleyes:

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I used a factory tank out of an 85 S10 blazer. I think its around 20 gallons. I have it mounted right behind the cab, I used the facotry "upper" brackets off the s10 on the bottom cause the tank is symetrical and some steel strap on top with bike inner tube all around for a buffer. I havent wheeled enough to judge it but I'd say its the perfect size. It'll fit inside the framerails of a fullsize perfectly. I would highly recomend this tank, they are easy as cake to find.

7. log crawler

log crawler Registered Member

My 80'k5 cab truck only runs on the trail so i took a 20 galon s10 blazer tank(10"tall).Set it on the frame where i wanted it and drew a line on each frame rail the shape of the tank sides and plasma cutted it out. aluminium semi decking fits perfectly in the frame rails of a fullsize. i put one piece of decking inside the frame and sliced rubber hose down one side and siliconed it to where i cut to keep the tank and frame from rubbing. the s10 tank had a elecltric fuel pump and my buddy wanted to buy it from me so i took the sending unit from the stock 31gal tank and bent the sock and fuel gauge float up a little bit to fit in tank. When i got it in it wasnt facing the fuel lines on the frame so i cut a tab of off the retaining ring and was able to lock it in place faceing my stock fuel lines.The s10 tank i got has one corner that is flat so if you put the tank in a blazer that had the stock square tank at the back between frame rails, that one corner will clear your stock brake and fuel lines if you put it as far up as i did since i cut 15"s off the back off the frame. Your fuel gauge wire will snap right on an s10 blazers tank with electric pump. if you dont want to switch the sending unit assembly you can cut the elecltric pump off the metal line and put a rubber hose with a sock on the end.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run a 22 gal Jazz and use the stock sending unit pump assembly.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

why is that a bad idea?i have a fuel gauge that i mounted in one of the tanks. as long as im on flat ground it will tell me how much gas i have left in both tanks. its not like ill drive for hours and hours and hour anyways without checking it. all i got to do is open the top and look in :rolleyes:

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

have any pictures of that cell? was thinking about the same one
    thanks.... :D
    Grant

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

20g + a 5 gallon can. I could just use a 25g stock tank... but I wanted a cell, and if something bizarre happens and a hole gets punched in my cell, I can always fix it and put the spare 5 gallons in it to get me to a station.

j

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

punch a hole in one of the tanks while out wheeling. you'll quickly see why its a bad idea. both tanks will be dry, rather than just one. or, heaven forbid your gas gauge stops working and you dont notice it.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

both of my tanks are enclosed in the bed. it would take something severe to puncture the tank (something i would definetly notice) also i am really aware and quite narotic about things like the amount of gas i have. everytime i drive it (or atleast most times) i double check just to see what i got. for me the setup works fine and i never have to get out and switch a valve.

14. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

33 Gallon fuel cell here.