Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size hinge pins if I...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, May 18, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

...want to lose the bushings and just go with a larger removeable pin? I don't want to fork out the dough for all the "hinge pin repair kits" (I know I'm cheap). I know someone here has just swapped out the old ones, removed the bushings, and put in larger pins, but what size?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Taken from here.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but not what I'm talking about.

I'm referring to the actual hinge pin, not the retaining pin for it. I want to use a larger hinge without bushings, rather than a stock one with bushings. I know someone has done it.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gotcha, you are just going to wear the hinge metal itself out and have to replace the entire assembly that way. If this is a daily driver I'd definetally say don't do it. Just get new bushings and measure the outside diameter of them. They are like $1 in the help section of parts stores.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well it's not really a DD, and it's just an old truck so I'm not too worried. If I keep them greased it shouldn't be too bad. If I did it by way of the article, I'd have to get the kit with the bushings and the hinge pin, which are 6.99, and I'd need four, so that's $30 and I haven't even gotten the holes drilled with retaining pins yet. Not to mention the grinding and drilling...
    If it works out that I can just slap in some convenient size of pins from the hardware store that already have holes in them and have no knurling to grind off, then I'd be good to go.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Go to the dealer and get the hinge kit. IIRC, it was $40 for everything and the pins are just long enough that you can drill them for the keeper pin. Better way to go IMO. I have done this mode both ways. I do not recommend any other way. Paid for it by having my door fall off in a parking lot. That really sucked. :(

7. chickenass

chickenass Registered Member

I just used some bolts with nuts. It probably takes me an extra minute per side to pull the doors off.

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep, el cheapo way : nuts & bolts (that aren't threaded all the way) along with some brass tubing.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Anybody have any sizes? I don't want to take the doors off and screw around trying to get it all figured out. Running out of time, maybe I'll just have to put this off till after memorial day.