Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size lift is on my blazer....5 posts down for pics.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by THISISWEIRD, May 3, 2007.

1. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

So I'm finally getting ready to get my lift kit ordered. I've got a really pronouced lean to one side. Is there anything that can cause this lean other than the leaf springs? I've measured both sides and it's about 1.5 inches shorter on the driver's side but looking at both springs, I can't see any difference.

Could the u-bolts have rotated around the axle so the springs are actually attached at different heights? The shackles don't look busted. I can't see anything wrong, but then again, I can't see a difference in the springs either.

Any other ideas to make sure I'm not buying a replacement I don't need.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same by 1". I'm guessing leaf springs too

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Mine is 1" higher on one side then the other too. It might be a tweaked frame, rotted body bushings, springs, spring bushings, shackle bushings. In bigger tires a few pounds different can make the truck lean wierd too. I don't worry about it and just have fun.

4. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine leans like 2" lower on DS, more at the front corner than the rear. It does make the body roll a bit worse when I turn so I've learned to get used to it. But yeah, it bothered me for a while then I just said screw it. Got too much other stuff on my mind.

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'd take a bunch of measurements with it on a flat surface. Take them again with the wheels off the ground. When you go to put on the lift check all the mounts & bushings closely.

After the lift is installed take all the same measurements with the wheels on & off the ground.

Compare everything. Hopefully you will have found & corrected the problem. If not you will need to decide how important it is to correct. If it's a daily driver or spends good amounts of time on the highway it's certainly more important as a safety factor than a rock crawler.

I suppose you are doing a body lift as otherwise you'd be getting new springs anyway which is what I would guess is the problem anyway.;)

6. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I've had the same problem and it did not go away after replacing the springs. I even re-welded on new spring perches. It could be the frame, but more likely the body mounts/bushings. Mine appears to have newer bushings already so I'm not sure what's up anymore.

I think the body mounts are designed to accept some shoms to level everything out. Maybe that's all you need. (Although a 1.5" shim really isn't a shim anymore!)

7. THISISWEIRD

I'm going to be doing springs, which is what I suspect the problem is. But I'm a noob and wanted to make sure.

I want the same ride height I have now, but I'm not sure. The springs in the front are flat (how the hell do I have lift in the front while the springs are flat) and there's a 2 inch block in the rear. What size lift do you think I have? The PO said 6, but I don't see how. See pics attached.

Oh...33 x 12.5 tires.

Full View.jpg

Ride Height.jpg

Rear Leaf.jpg

Front View.jpg

8. THISISWEIRD

Anyone help me figure out the lift kit here? I can't.

9. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My guess is 2 inch lift. Blocks on the rear, 2" springs up front. The reason they're flat is that stock springs actually have negative? arch, that is the ends are pointed down.

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Those blocks look taller than 2 inches...are you sure they only measure 2in? I had 2 inch blocks on mine when I bought it, and they looked a lot shorter than that.

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would like to see pics of his front springs from the side and I think that blazer may have a body lift on it. The hitch seems too far below the bumper to me. He can take a tape measure to the blocks to figure out what they are.

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd seriously check the condition of your body mounts. to find out why its outa-wack.

Mine leans about 1" to the driver side. I thought it was an illusion against the bed, but after I recently remounted the bed with the correct lift blocks (I have a body lift) making the bed 100% square and true, I figured out that it was the cab. All the bushings are mounts are good, but I found out that the metal bracing under the back mounts of the cab has rusted, cracked, and then crunched in a little bit.

I have a solution to fix that in my build threat in my sig.

13. THISISWEIRD

I'll get some pictures up later today of the front springs and a measurement of the rear blocks, but I think now it's got to be in the springs, not the body mount/lift. There is no body lift, it's got just enough room to clear the gas tank filler and shock mounts and no more. But I'll post those too.

The reason I say springs now is that I've measured from the ground to the center of the shackle eye. It's 1.5 inches lower on the driver's side vs. the passenger's side. I'm now thinking it HAS to be the springs. I'll post more pictures.

I just thought measuring ride height from the ground and knowing what size tires I had, someone would have a sure answer. I guess there are just too many variables involved. The PO also lowered the TC with some spacers, so I was thinking more than 2" was likely. I also seem to think I have an awful lot of clearance with those 33's for just a 2" kit.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a 4" lift to me. the axle tubes are roughly 3 1/4" for reference which makes those blocks look like they're 4". The last pic showing the fender and tire looks very much like a 4" lift too.

Rene

15. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I had this exact problem with my k5 when I got it. I replace the body mounts with new polyurethane mounts and a 1" body lift and it sits level.

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you look in the same pic you can see the hinge for the tailgate just clears the bumper, that and the marker light in the front lines up right with the front bumper. no bodylift. I would geuss you have a 4" lift. what look like flat to you probably has some arch too it. my blazer has the stock 2 leaf front springs and there is only about 1" between the bumpstop and the spring pad in the front.