Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size metal brakeline does a 14 bolt FF use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 31, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Since I'm rebuilding my 14 bolt, it needs new hard brakelines that run from the differential to each wheel. I found somewhere to order the mass tubing and fitting kit but I dont know what size to get. Anyone know? Thx

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Cool thx /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just the dilemma I'm in. But, I don't really want to build my own. I called Inline Tube and told the guy I had a 1980 K30, since that's what my Corp14ff DOM says, and he asked whether or not it was 2 or 4 wheel drive. What would be the difference? I'd hate to order the wrong part. You would think a Corp14ff would be the same for either 2wd or 4wd.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But, I don't really want to build my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, you don't really have to. The parts store near my house carries pre-flared pieces of brakeline in length increments of 6 inches (they have the flare nuts already installed). So, if there's a place like that near you (this place by me is called Parts Hut Bumper-to-Bumper), measure how long of pieces you'll need...go on the long-side if it's an in between measurement. Then, just bend the tube carefully by hand (I've got a little tubing bender, but it's really not necessary...just go slow and don't kink it) to make it follow the shape of the differential and go around the spring perches and such. Then, all you do is undo the old one and bolt in the new one. Bleed your brakes and go.

I buy those little sections because they're pretty cheap (I think it was like $2.50 for a 40" length), but since I have a tubing cutter and a double-flaring tool, I cut them to the exact length I want and put 'em in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That's good to know. Since I am leaning towards slapping on a MOO over the top axle truss, I was toying with the idea of running the brake lines down the axle truss tubes, instead of the axle.