Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size of tires & 8 bolt rims should i get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Nov 12, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I got 3/4 ton axles but now need the tires & rims. what size of rims along with tires to match should i buy. with the tires I was wanting atleast 39" /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have 3/4 ton axles, stay away from the 39s. They're tempting but they're just too damn big. Stick with 35s or 36s if you're going to continue to run that front axle, or you're going to break it a lot.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Alex (Blzr4x4ngkid2) down in Wichita has some 15x14 chrome Barts to sell for around $250 which would work good for 3/4 tons and 39's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have 15x10 Eaton HD steel wheels (black, no bling here!!) and like them a lot with 39.5 TSLs. for 3/4 ton stuff, I'd stick to 36s though... one great option if the tires are gonna be offroad only would be 36" iroks... very light for their size. if they are gonna see street miles, get 35/37" MTRs.

j

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For tons of street miles, BFG M/Ts, otherwise, TSLs. I'd chose 35s or 36s in either 12.50 or 14.50-15, either way you should be fine and run them on 8 or 10" wide wheels. I'd go 10" for future investment possibilities.

Black wheels are the shi*! I will never run anything else, I love the way mine look.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wanting atleast 39"

[/ QUOTE ] Run the tires you already have, and save up for that D60 if you're going 39's or larger.

7. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

what size of rim should i get? 15" 16" 16.5"? Is the 15" fine or is there some reason that I should go up to a 16, & also how wide of a rim should i go for?

8. jekbrown

i see no reason to own rims bigger than 15" unless...

a) u are going to run 2.5t rockwell axles
    b) you are a competing rock crawler and a little sidewall roll is the diff between winning and losing.
    c) are are scared of angle grinders
    d) you are building a show truck and the judges are the type of people impressed by "bling dubs."

outside of those 4 reasons, I dont see the point. 15" rims are cheaper, they have the best tire selection, a safety bead, they are lighter, they are super-common/easy to find and they leave a whooole lot of room between the rocks and your rim. what more do u want? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

9. benny

benny Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

a)
    b)
    c)
    d)

outside of those 4 reasons, I dont see the point. 15" rims are cheaper, they have the best tire selection, a safety bead, they are lighter, they are super-common/easy to find and they leave a whooole lot of room between the rocks and your rim. what more do u want? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Less sidewall.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ... or is there some reason that I should go up to a 16...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure there is: 15" may not fit over your disk brakes, so you may have to grind the brakes or get rims with a backspacing that can put extra stress on your wheel bearings etc. Check fit if you go w/ 15s before buying. Just my $0.02.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    you are building a show truck and the judges are the type of people impressed by "bling dubs."

[/ QUOTE ] BAAHHHAAAHHHHHAAA! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You crack me up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

15",16",and 16.5" rims are all good common functional sizes, you would be safe with any of these 3. "blingy dubs" would be your lowrider, gangbanger 18" to 24". I would stay away from those. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. jekbrown

is less sidewall an advantage in any 4x4 situation other than nasty rock crawl comp off camber stuff? I mean sure, the guys over on pirate that actually compete run 17" rims sometimes, but for 99.9% (100?) of us it wont make a difference. tire selection at 17" rims is absymal so I wouldnt even bother with them. 16.5 no safety bead... meh. 16.5 w/ beadlocks would work but is $pendy and non-street legal. 16"? sorry tire selection. 20"? gay unless you have rockwells/michelins. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

imo the best choices are still 15s or 16.5s + tire-loc/second air. both are good, the former is more in my price range.

j

14. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Ok so you talked me out of it,, I won't go with the 22s & the high perf. z-rated tires. i didn't think they had to much traction on the rocks anyways /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

now if i go with the 15s how will i know if my brakes will fit? I also plan on getting rear disk someday. does this change anything?

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    now if i go with the 15s how will i know if my brakes will fit? I also plan on getting rear disk someday. does this change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

rear is np, discs fit fine. AFA the front goes, I have a 1 ton front end and I just used a grinder on my calipers and now they fit no problem. not sure exactly what the scoop is on 3/4t setups. In either case, if you get some rims that have a small amount of backspacing (like 2.5-3.5") grinding is minimal. Its when you are trying to fit a rim with 4.5" of BS that you will be behind a grinder all day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No grinding w/ 2.75" backspaced 15x8" wheels on a 3/4 ton 8-lug Dana 44 for me.

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am running 15 X 10's with 4.25" backspacing. To grind each front took me about 2 hours per side. I also used a BFH to pound the ears on the backing plate down and then ground to fit.

On my rear disks, I had to grind one caliper. The Autozone remanufactured calipers were different enough that one need a grinder and the other didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif