Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Size pinion Shims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Jul 7, 2005.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I just got done installing a ORD 2.5" rear shackle flip and need to get a set of caster shims to fix the pinion angle that it left me with. Right now the pinion is @ 22 degrees and the driveshaft is @ 17 degrees. Does this mean that I need 5 degree shims with the wide side toward the front to roll the piion down and put it in line with the driveshaft? I'm also going to move the axle back 1.5" using milled zero rates for my caster shims if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

troy :thinking:

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If you have a CV shaft you want to pinion to be inline with the driveshaft (2* down to accomidate for axle wrap).

If you have a stock single joint at each end of driveshaft then you want your pinion angle and the output of the t-case angle to be parallel.

3. trollporter

I do have the single joints at each end of the shaft (stock np241). The angle of the output on my transfer is 5 degrees. Surely this doesn't mean that I would need a 17 degree shim to correct it.

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

mesure the angle of pinion compared to the ground and the angle of the slip yoke compared to the gound...it doesn't matter what your d-shaft angle is. Mines currently 25 degrees, but my slip yoke is like 4 degrees and my pinion angle is 0...that means i need to shim my pinion back up 4 degrees (or in my case actually lose my 4 degree shim). driveshaft angle on a single joint shaft has nothign to do with shimming the pinion.

5. trollporter

Now im just cornfused :thinking: