Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size powerplant do you run? also, anyone tried the truck avenger carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy Duty, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Chevy Duty

Chevy Duty Registered Member

I run the standard 350, where starting the rebuild tomorrow.

Im also wondering if anyojne has tried holleys truck avenger carb, if it makes much of a difference then regular street avenger carbs... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm running a 634 cubic inch Bill Mitchell Elephant motor!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm also full of $hit here!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I'm running a 454, slightly warmed over. My carb is the Edelbrock Q-Jet, a 795 CFM, also a replacement for the stock Q-Jet. Runs very good and strong. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

454 for me with the Holley ProJection.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

350 for me but soon to be a sbc406 with tpi /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

350 with vortec heads, edelbrock intake and Q-jet hope to get EFI soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

In my K5 I have a stock 350, and My C20 Custom "Truck" a rebuilt stock 292 inline six.

LooksBack

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I used to race boats and have a 454 sitting in the garage . 750+hp. would have to de-tune it to fit the K5. So when the 350 wants to goto bed, I'll be bumping the power up alittle...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: What size powerplant do you run? also, anyone tried the truck avenger c

Stock 400 cid sbc. Drueling over a "RamJet502" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm running a 634 cubic inch Bill Mitchell Elephant motor!!

[/ QUOTE ]

did you just admit to running a chrysler hemi in your chevy? you did say elephant motor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

11. thatK30guy

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im running 4 bolt main 350 with 2.02 intake corvette heads edelbrock 600 with off road kit.runs really well.ive heard with the truck avenger it runs in the most off camber angles of any standard carb.but have no experience with it sorry.there was a write up for it in the 4 ewheel and off road mag about 8 ,onths ago i think.if you go to their website you should be able to pull up the story in a seach of the site.

13. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running the stock 305 (very tired) with the stock Q-Jet that no uses the secondary barrels. I need to upgrade to something with a little more power and horsepower. I even have permission from wife to build a strong engine, of course she wants some kind of hot rod truck which is not what I'm looking for in my K5. But, I'll just have to see what I can up with.

Kirk

14. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Im running a stock 292 I6 with a stock rebuild. I turns 38s great with 5.13's, but next winter she gets a 427 tall deck with 9.5:1 compression and ported rectangular port heads. Should be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: What size powerplant do you run? also, anyone tried the truck avenger c

If the wife wants a hot rod motor, but you want something milder, think 383 stroker. Build it at 9 to 1 compression, and the cam of your choice. Also think about Fuel Injection. Put a bunch of crome crap on it for her,....ect. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

rat = BBC
    elephant = chryco HEMI

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would say the Truck Avenger is a load of advertising BS

from the pics that Twiztid posted and his observations(other then the weight of fuel at the jet line) found in THIS thread it appears they have not made a magic gravity defying metering block as they were claiming to have done.

when you get your truck nose up the fuel level in the float bowl gets to be higher then the main discharge nozzle.
    when this happens fuel begins to gravity flow rather then be drawn in by vacuum signal with no regard to throttle position.
    when this happens you pretty much have to hold the throttle wide open to keep the engine running, sometimes this is a bad thing.

the other mods they did are nice,
    annular discarge nozzles are about the only thing a 'hobbyist' wouldnt do at home that you find on that carb.

I am not bashing Holley as I am a fan of their carbs and run them.
    but they will not climb with the fuel being held in the stock location, to bandaid this you lower the float levels as much as possible

18. thatK30guy

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And the SBC=mouse.

I have the article when Bill Mitchell first came out with the 632 in a Popular Hot Rodding mag and they listed that engine as an "elephant." /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, don't remind me what the animals are when referring them to the size of the motor. Go tell Bill Mitchell himself! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

the power plant i have is a 87' 350 TBI, has plenty of power to move 33's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

you need one of these in your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif