Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size? Probably already covered but...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Nov 16, 2000.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would like to know what size tires I can put on a stock K5. There are 31s on there now and I remember seeing someone talking about 33s running fine. Someone clear this up for me...And if I do the shackle flip how much lift does that give me? And what about this fender trimming stuff...I don't like cutting...I can't cut straight....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Max tire size on a K5 I would have to say is 32" But I have heard some say they fit 33" in there no probs. Shackle flip will give you 4" of lift using your stock spring. (or 2.5" if you get those). Fender trimming is easy: measure, mark, and follow the line. (use a Sawzall).
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have seen people run 33's with a stock K5. On the street you may have minor rubbing, but on the trail it will probably almost definately rub.

A shackle Flip, if bought from ORD, can come in two sizes. You can either get a 2.5" lift or a 4" lift. The homebrew shackle flip I think, yields you 4+"....

If you dont like to trim, go with a little larger lift. But if you go 33's and a 4" lift, you will only need to trim the bottom corners of the front fenders in the rear of the wheel opening. And you wont need to cut much.

HTH!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

when i put 33s on, the truck was stock. it only rubbed when i turned and hit a bump, or made sharp u-turns.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

im running 32 right now,i have no problem at all

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

6. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

You could run 33's if you never want to turn or go offroad. [​IMG]

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

7. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

Before I lifted my truck I had 33's mounted on the stock alloys (15x8)and never had any problem, I then got aftermarket rims (used 15x10's) and then started rubbing when I cranked a turn or turned and hit a bump. Probably had the wrong offset. Now I have a 6" lift and 35's with no problems. So what I'm saying is, you shouldn't have a problem with 33's being stock, if you have the correct offset and/or rim size.
    Hope this helps! good luck!
    Jeff

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Every vehicle is different and so is everybody's idea of what fits and what doesn't. Anyway, here's my take on this.
    I ran 32x11.50's on the stock 15x7 alloys and stock suspension with no problems......but it was mostly street driving and no major flexing off-road. I then switched to 15x10 rims, again no real problems but the rims did put the tires a lot closer to the fenders when turned. I had some short aftermarket mud guards on the front that the tires did rub after switching to the wider rims, but didn't with the 7" rims.
    I then installed a 4" lift with 33x12.50's on the 15x10 rims.....again no problems, even during full flex on serious trails. But this was also with the swaybar installed.....after unhooking the bar the front tires rubbed the fenders even with them pointed straight ahead, but was corrected by simply bending the fender lip back some.
    After installing 35x12.50's it was time to cut the fenders. I really only had to remove a small amount (in my opinion) of the front and rear bottom edges of the front fenders to fit.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had 33s on mine stock for a while and they were probably fine. I didn't own it then, but I don't think it was used ff road. It came with a 2.5" add-a-leaf lift and they rubbed a little when it got twisted up, and now I have a 3" and its fine

90K5

10. Badbowtie3

Badbowtie3 Registered Member

Florida - C.S.A. [*><*] - A Country boy can surviv
    I dont know if this counts but i have an 84 K20 and i have 33x13.50 baja claws on 8" wide rims and they dont rub at all even flexing and it has a stock Suspension. Is my tuck any higer than a stock K5? also is it any hihger than a 1/2 truck?

Mud holes are like problems in life, you always learn something from them