Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size tires and what kinda axels are best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

i want to run 37"s without worrying about breaking a lot of stuff, if i ran 14 bolt rear and 12 bolt front would i be safe do you think? i when i wheel i can be prety h hard on thihngs and i pull a l ot o f people ouot by hoking to my tow hooks i n front so i dont know if a 12 bolt i s enough for me?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: what size tires and what kinda axles are best?

there is no 12 bolt front only 10 bolt and dana 44 and dana 60's unless you go 2.5ton or 5ton lol if you are hard on it and want to run 37's you will be breaking parts i would recommend a dana 60

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is no such thing as a 12bolt front. There is a 10 bolt front, dana44, and dana 60 that are used under full size chevys. In my opinion a built 44 or 10b would probably work fine if rocks aren't going to be near it and not to much ponies are pushing it, otherwise the 60 is the way to go.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

hey there. i dont know anything about dodge, so i cant say if there's a 12 bolt front there, but in chevy's there is no 12 bolt front from factory,its a dana 44 that your probably thinking of. And about 90% of the people will say "get a dana 60 and do it once and do it right" how ever i have no experiance there. I have a dana 60 and 37's but have yet to wheel it, so i cant give any help there. but from what i hear, its a 50/50 change with dana 44's, some last with 38's and some break alot with 35's so it depends on you and the way you treat it i guess. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

For what it's worth, I broke a D44 stub with 37's an a pathetically performed rock dismount. Rear axle was in the air (hung on the diff), and the front was solidly on the gound (soft dirt). Didn't redline it or anything, and it popped fairly easily.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there is no 12 bolt front

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is Executioner when you need him? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i know a guy that has a suburban whith an 8lug dana44 front and 36" goodyear M/T2s (commonly refered to as hummer tires) and he hammers that thing HARD. He has broken a good deal of stuff (including 2 10bolt fronts) but the 44 has held up well enough for him. I think that you can get away whith a 44 or a 10bolt for a while but it will give up sooner or latter. I would wheel it till it breaks and have enough cash in a special spot for the 60.