Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size tires can i fit on a 4" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Feb 1, 2001.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

what size tires can i fit on a 4\" lift?

does anyone know what size tires i can fit under a 83 jimmy with a 4in suspension lift. i would like to fit some BFG mud terrains about 35 13.50 or something along those lines. also, what other modifacations would i need to do to to install the lift other than just the lift. ie: dropping t-case? stuff like that, thanx. balzer

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Re: what size tires can i fit on a 4\" lift?

I dont know exactly but you might need to do some fender trimming if your going to be flexing alot and i forget if its for 4 or 6" lift where you need to extend the brake lines . . . someone else Will know

[​IMG]its a mole . . . not a seal!!

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have seen 38's run under a 4" lift. No flex at all. Major sawzall work done and insane flares added. I wouldnt dare venture over 35's if you want anything remotely considered flex, this is with no sawzall work being done. Boss runs 35" BFGs on his ride and it looks real good. Are you trying to run meats that would fill up your fender wells while looking good or are you going for the purpose done modification? Also check the guide on this website for some more info. So in a round about way to answer your question yes they would work. Whether or not it would be all that functional is up to your own style of wheeling. Hope somewhere in this rant this info helps you.

4. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i dont want to do any cutting on the fenders at all, i dont do much flexin at all, but i dont want to tare up my new body work if i do. it would be more for the looks of the truck, so i am gonna want some good looking wide tires. would i be better off with a taller lift or with smaller tires. and im tryin to avoid any work on the drive train. thanx

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

2.5" lift with a, god I hate these, and a 3" body lift. Or you could just stick with original plan. 35" tires will look good and not be too bad for your inteded purpose. If you want wide tires go with Mickey Thompsons or Dick Cepek tires. They are as wide as you can get. What transmission are you running? To turn those meats and get your passing speed back you might want to upgrade the gears. If you read some posts here you will find out that is the one big killer among most of all the 700R4's. Other than that if you are using the ORD shackle flip kit you should check your pinon angles. If you are getting a lift with rear blocks then they should be angled the right way. I think I am going into deep on this so I will shut up now. Ask more questions if you want just send them via private message so I dont chew up more bandwidth.

" What day is today?....Febuary.....Its nudie magazine day!!!!!!!! " - Billy Madison

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

According to the hit or miss table, 33's on 4" max (no trimming) or 35" with fender trimming. With 13.50 width, make sure you get the correct backspacing on the rims or you'll have trouble with the front tires rubbing the frame and/or tie rods.

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You should refer to the chart in the tech area of this site. IT has all that info.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, lets see. It would depend on what you want to do with your rig and depending on that, how much fender trimming you want to do. I have 4" lift, SEVERELY cut out fenders and run 36x14.5x15" Super Swamper TSL Radials on the nastiest trails I can fit the old K5 on.

On the lift, you are going to have to do some kind of steering correction, probably longer brake lines and longer or re located e brake cables.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Also, a 4" lift puts stock brake lines right at their limit. Would recommend longer lines. I had to drop the the t-case with my 4" lift.

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

With my 4" ProComp springs and 3/4 ton axles, I had to do a fair bit of fender trimming to the back of the front fender, but it can easily be done cleanly. Now that the springs have sagged down to around 3" and I run 15x39.5-15 TSLs, I had to do a LOT of sawzalling and grinding, as well as modify the rear inner fenders and remove the fronts. I also had to beat on the floor boards a bit at the front of the cab with a baby sledge. But I get the feeling this isn't what you're after. If you plan to wheel it, get longer brake lines, if not you can probably get by with drop brackets. As for lowering the t-case, it depends on what combo you're running. Also, the 3/4 ton fronts are wider than the 1/2 ton, which doesn't help the rubbing problem.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, 1st you have to be sure what you are going to use it for.
    Then go to the tire fitment chart and see what tire size, obviously you are wanting 35's. You need to check your, [assuming] 10 bolt axles. If they are 10 bolts the 35's will be about the max tire size you wanna put on those 10 bolts. Lwess you just wanna roll around a LOOK KOOL. But if wheelin fairly hard you amy end up breaking something, so then you may wanna stick with 33's for the part time stuff like me.
    If you go with the 33's and the 4" you "should be" pretty safe for the tire clearance. But you'll be pushing it by going with 12.50's (wide that is). But everybody's truck is different.
    Then you will most likely need to do the brake lines, either long lines or lower the bracket. Then you may need to get a steering arm to accomodate the lift. Next your new springs should come pith pinion angle shims tha tgo under the leaf springs. this will most likely fix any driveline vibration problems due to the new drivshaft angles. But if not then you will need to try the T-case drop with the stock spacers. But it would be hoove you to get one of those angle finders. They sale them at Sears. this will help you acuratly find your driveline angles. And then you can go from there, weather it be at the T-case or with different shims.
    However, with those 35's if you get skinnier tires they will probably fit with the 4" lift no problem, but its harder to find those taller tires in the skinnies. So, don't sell yourself short when planning. In the long run everything will come into play. Believe me they all start happening like dominos when you least expect it. Then again you could get lucky and not have any problems. But do you wanna play that game? I like to make sure before I jump. But as for the difficulty, no preoblem, just cut the old u-joints off, don't dick around with trying to wrench them off. You'll wast about 3 extra hours, less you have something like a 1000 lb impact gun. Mine is a 600 and it would get them all the way off. Its just way quicker.
    the steering arm, LOL!!!! that ones fun&gt; NOT, well it is if you have a big enough hammer that wont hit studs even if you try. But my arms ar starting to hurt from typing but that is about the jist of it.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

12. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

I was able to fit 36" tires under my 4 inch lift. I had 3/4 ton running gear though. That lifts about an inch higher. I also planned to do some fender trimming but it wouldn't have had to be drastic. When I installed my lift the brake lines worked. I had to drop the T-case. A drop steering arm is a must. Otherwise steering components are too stressed and won't work properly.