Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Size Tires Can I Fit?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, Feb 23, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

All of you out there who own 90s style chevy trucks, what is the biggest tire size you can fit or HAVE fit under your trucks without lifting it. I have a 96 Z71 and I would like to know what the biggest I can fit without lifting it. I know there are charts and things out there but I would like to hear from someone who has experienced it or seen the trials and errors themselves. Thanks! :o)

If you didnt build it, it isnt really yours.........
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/index.htm>http://mandydyer.tripod.com/index.htm</a>

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

stock rims..285/75r16 or 305/70r16

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I moved up in rim size on the Suburban as well-
    305/70/16 good years
    and 16X9 rims

the only problem you may have is when you get off the highway- and bank- at a high rate of speed---

you know the black plastic thing thats under your bumper? My tire guy shaved off the end of that. on an angle just so I wouldnt rub- I never did, but it was a precaution.

if you want rims---- I have some LOL CHEAP CHEAP

Brandy

HELP!!!!! I need 16.5x 12 rims -------please please please!!!!!

oh, still LOVING the new dmax as well!

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

on my buddies 92 step-side I fit 33x12.50 on a 15x8 I trimmed that same thing on his no rubbing!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

5. finnd

finnd Registered Member

MudNurI

What year and model Suburban are you running those 305's on? I have a 1999 K2500 'burbon and am about to get new tires. Trying to decide between the 285/75 and the 305/70

Thanks

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

it was a 94 GMC SLT 1500 4x4...

Not sure about the 3/4 - compared to the 1/2, however I think the 3/4 sits up a bit higher than the 1/2 to begin with, you should have no problems with the 305's fitting under it.

good luck
    Brandy

7. finnd

finnd Registered Member

MudNurI ,

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the shaving that was done would you? The frontend of your suburban? I already ripped off my stock bumper and tossed on the TJM T-13 that I had on my yukon. It doesn't have a hanging air dam or anything, and would seem to give a bit more room in the tire area.

Thanks,

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I dont have a picture, but let me try to explain it enough so you get the idea...

its the black plastic thing that hangs down from the stock bumper...

what they did was start at the top where the thing meets the bumper- and shave it off towards the bottom, BUT they went IN towards the CENTER of the plastic thing, 2 inches, so the piece that that they cut off, almost would look like a an L that you connect the top and the bottom wtih a straight line....does that make ANY sense?

unfortunatly, my truck is now in Syracuse, NY, so I have no way of getting a picture. all in all I think if you dont have the piece, you probably have more room that I did, even after shaving it.

Brandy

9. finnd

finnd Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Now my only problem is finding good tires in the 305/70 size. I loved my BFG AT's but they aren't available in 305. I do a minimal amount of off road, basically the trails to get to the hunting camps and such, so I don't want to go to the MT's. :-( Anyone know of a good AT out there that comes in the 305/70r16? Any thoughts on the new Nito terra graplers?

http://www.nittotire.com/mainframe.asp