Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Oct 24, 2000.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I now have stock 15" rims with 10.5 tires.

This may get long ...

I had my springs reworked (basically added a leaf) b/c the shop told me it would cure my pulling while braking and my wandering problem ... NOT!

Thanks to you guys it looks like the ORD steering brace (and the new proportioning valve I put on)I may not have that original problem to deal with.

My truck is stock except for the extra leaves in the springs. The ride is rougher, but I kind of like it.

Question: Can I put a taller ( 16" rim ) wheel on without lifting my truck?

How wide can I go without cutting the wells?

If I have to lift it, what's the minimum?

Will I have to change the drive shaft at all?

I do a lot of long distance driving & beach off-roading so I don't want the ride to be too rough.

PS - Got half the money for a new tranny.

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

YES, you can put on 16" without lifting your truck!!! the size of the rim has nothing to do with the height of the tire. i.e. 31/10.50/15 or 31/10.50/16... the tire is still the same size but the hole for the rim is bigger!!! as for back spacing you'll need to measur the distance between the rim and wheelwell on the truck and subtract at least an inch or two for tire flex and such and then measure the backspacing on your wheel itself. this will tell you just how much backspacing you will need to have on your new wheels and when you add the rim to wheelwell #'s to it this will tell you just how close you will be to the rubbing something off. you'll just have to do good adding and subtracting

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

So I guess there is no real advantage to a taller rim!

Won't that have something to do with torque or strain on engine. Or ride characteristics?

What I'm really looking for is a bigger look without loosing too much comfort/drivability. I think these are 8" rims ... How much impact would I run into if I changed to 10" rims, if at all? Also a wider tire would be better in the sand, but I don't want to change from street tires to beach tires and back with the change in seasons.

Where can I go to further research this? Don't want to end up with something that kills my gas mileage or floats across the water.

Any recommendations on size and brand?

Thanks,

Bob

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if you get a wider rim you should generally go with a tire that is at least 2" wider than the rim. I.E. 8" rim,,,10." tire.. the biggest tire you can fit on a blazer is somewhere around 33"'s.. without lift ,,anything over that you'll probably need lift..

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

You mean I have a 10.5 on an 8" rim and I can go to 33" without making any cuts. That's a huge difference. If I go with a 10" rim I'm looking at about a 12" tire?

Are you guys running rims that wide? 30"s. Not sure if I'm getting this?

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For rim width, basically what the previous post was trying to say is that if you have 31x10.50 tires you shouldn't put them on 10" wide rims, but should use something around 8" wide for a rim.

16" wheels versus 15" wheels, assuming you have the same overall size of tire will not affect the "power" of the vehicle. However, again assuming the tires are identical except one fits the 16" and one fits the 15" rim, you might notice a little harsher ride but better handling with the 16" tire because there is less sidewall to flex, which would absorb bumps more but allow a little more "wallow" in the corners.....but I don't know how much you would actually notice this.

For the biggest tire you can fit on a stock Blazer, alot depends on how you drive it and what it is used for. If you just drive on the street you could probably get away with a 33x12.50 tire, but if you do any type of serious off-roading that size will eat the lower edges of the front fenders. The wider the tire and wheels are, generally the more lift is required. For example, a 33x9.50 on a 15x7 rim would have less chance of rubbing the fenders as compared to a 33x12.50 on a 15x10 rim.

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I get it ... I think! Guess I still need to get this ORD bracket to see if maybe that will factor in my choice of rim size. I mean if I need a stiffer tire that is.

Thanks,

Bob