Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size tires?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by sanddragon2004, Mar 25, 2003.

1. sanddragon2004

sanddragon2004 Registered Member

about to install dana 44 front and corp 14ff rear, with 4:10s. 6" suspension lift, i may tow my small flat bed quad trailer once in a while. but mostly will just wheel at holister, and clear creek, and a few local mud holes. what size tires are good for mud for a burban? i know its a heavy ass truck, what do you guys run? what works and doesnt work? im trying to determine best combination for me.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 4" lift and 32's( /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) but will be going to 35's once the 3/4 ton axles go in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm runnint 4:10 with a D44 & 14FF. I have 4" susp, 2" body & 36x12.50x16.5 hummer tires. I trimmed my fenders a bit, but they work great. I tow a 17 foot camper into the mtns around 11000 feet. It does pretty good, considering I have me, my wife, three kids, two full grown labs, & a bunch of beer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! Anyway, it all depends on what yoiu really want!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm at 7" of lift and running 36x12.50 TSLs and i've never been stuck in the mud with my TSLs but i know my limits. i'm not gonna try something that i know is deeper than my tires.

5. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Since you are running 4.10's, I would go no larger than 35's. 33's are best for 4.10's but you will probably get better gas milage with the 35's.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 6" procomp spring in front and 6" superlift in rear and 37-12.50-15 SSR with no fender trimming, and 4:56 gears. I haul a 18' quad trailer and 4 quads with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

What are your experiences with 33" and 3.73 gears. Just right or would 4.10 be better. If 4.10 are better what is the average cost to make the change? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since you are running 4.10's, I would go no larger than 35's. 33's are best for 4.10's but you will probably get better gas milage with the 35's.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] So what you're saying is that when our burb gets the 3/4 ton axles with 4.10's and still running 31''s (and we plan to keep it that way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) we will get bad mileage? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't tell the girlfriend, it is her truck /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif sure will be quick at the stop lights though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

YPU DIDN'T STATE WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE RUNNING AN OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION OR NOT. WHAT DO YOU LIKE FROM YOUR TRUCK, PERFORMANCE OR JUST GET YOU THERE? YOU KNOW YOUR TRUCK BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE, AND WHAT YOU EXPECT IT TO DO. WHERE DOES YOUR ENGINE MAKE ITS POWER? WHAT RPM DO YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME AT? DO YOU DRIVE MOSTLY HIGHWAY OR CRUISE AROUND TOWN? MORE INFORMATION, BETTER ANSWER. TRY GOING TO INTERCOS WEB SIGHT AND USING ONE OF THEIR CALCULATERS TO PLUG IN TIRE SIZE GEAR RATIO SPEED YOU WANT ETC. YOU MAY EVEN COME UP WITH THE ANSWER TO YOUR OWN QUESTION.

10. sanddragon2004

Im running a 700r4

11. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

On my 91 with 2 inches of lift the 33 inch BFG fit good.
    But the 4.56 gears are a little low for the tires.
    Next set of tires more lift and 35s.
    With 6 inches of lift 35s or 37s will fit easy, but you will need 4.56 gears for sure.
    With 4.10 gears and only a 350 don't go with tires bigger than 33s or you will cook your auto tranny.

Tim

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

4.10s about 33's. just use the OD on the freeways. With that 6 inch lift, i would look for even deeper gears now, and taller tires in the future that can fill in the space better. you'll appreciate the extra ground clearance.....

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I RARELY USE MY OD NOW.....

14. sanddragon2004

Right now i have 33" tires and 3:73 gears, i have expereicned no problems, towing or anything. i can still cruise at 75-80mph on the freeway. I tow a flat bed quad trailer and 3 banshees no problem. (dont even realize they are back their)

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

if you drive like that and are happy with the performance, then 35's and 4.10's will be close enough to the same thing that you probably wont notice much difference. most suspension man. recommend 35" tires with a 6" lift anyway, and no fender trimming. most of my trips are short hop, so I like more snap when i push the go pedal.

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

by the way, my sub has 303,000 miles on it, not sure how many are on the motor. I will be checking this out soon and opening her up more to my liking.
    my '77 K20 just fell apart around me, lots of good parts 4 swapping into this one though.

17. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    by the way, my sub has 303,000 miles on it

[/ QUOTE ]
    DAMN someone who has more miles than me!!!!! NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! J/k man, I got 277,000 on my 89, I tell people its just been broken in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

a survey crew owned it b4 I did, they are responsible for most of those miles. but thats why I got the killer deal of $700 for the whole thing. everything worked, and still really solid considering I'm in the rust belt.