Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size trailer winch do you use???????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by JEBSR, Jul 7, 2006.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I want to put a winch on my new trailer but I can't afford a nice 8000 or so winch after buying a new trailer, box, etc. Thinking about putting a 2,000 lb mm trailer/atv winch on for now. Anyone have any experience with these?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

well i have a 1ton truck and to pull it up on my trailer it uses all its power. i have a 6k ramsey i got used but like new.

10k trailer 001.jpg

10k trailer 003.jpg

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

it's too light duty for a full size vehicle imo. You will need to use a snatch block to double the power at the very least. Have you looked at the cheapy harbor freight ones? I have used a 8K one for general utility stuff and it worked great. not sure if i'd trust it in the woods, but for a trailer it would be good.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm thinking too. Just trying make something work that I shouldn't I guess. Oh well sooner or later I'll be able to pick up another good winch.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I got a 8k ramsey and it had to work a little to pull this bos truck on the trailer with a straight line. if you get a china winch you really need a snatch block IMO

trailer Winch 001.jpg

trailer Winch 002.jpg

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I use a Harbour Freight 8k with a snatch block, pulls it right on up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. FWP

FWP CRS

I just pulled a 73 K5 onto the deckover (with 8' ramps) on Sat. First time I actually used the 2000 lb winch. The winch stalled with a straight pull, had to use a snatch block. HTH

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It seems like this would be the perfect place for one of the cheep Chinese winches. Unless you can find a good deal on a Ramsey RE worm drive winch. I've got a Warn XD9000 on mine, mostly because that is what was there when I bought it. I've used it to pull a couple ton boulder off my trailer and to pull an axle-less pickup on and off it. I wouldn't go any less than 6k lbs. Either way make sure you use a good battery.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

An 8K winch isn't necessarily a bad idea to use on a trailer, but a majority of the time you really don't need that much power. On the other hand a 2K winch would likely be a little small if you wanted to haul fullsize trucks onto the trailer, however if you unspooled the cable down to the last wrap and had a good battery it probably could pull most free-wheeling trucks onto a normal trailer..........remember that with each layer of cable still on the drum you are losing a LOT of pulling power.

Just keep in mind that even if the trucks weighs 8,000 lbs., you don't need anywhere near that amount to roll it around. However the power of a larger winch could be nice for dragging stuff like rocks or vehicles sitting on the frame onto a trailer.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I plan on putting an old 8274 I have laying around on a multimount to use on my trailer. What size wire should I run from the battery to the rear of the tow rig to power it? (~20 feet) 1/0?

11. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

I have one of those HF 9500 *just like the milemaker*

Lowboy GN trailer 003.jpg

Lowboy GN trailer 002.jpg

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

put a fullsize battery on the trailer with heavy gauge wire to the winch. with a decent size trickle charge wire for it from the truck. thats what I have. you are only pulling hard for a short distance. just up the ramps, the length of the deck is easy. I just let the towrig idle while I am pulling.

I pulled a truck up without a front axle and didn't have any problems with draining the battery. used a crappy no name 8000 lb winch.

dans truck 006.jpg

dans truck 007.jpg

dans truck 008.jpg

dans truck 009.jpg

dans truck 012.jpg

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My solution...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a Champion 3000lb winch from Tractor Supply on my trailer and it'll pull a 1 ton truck on good tires with single line or a car on flats with a snatch block. It's good enough for my needs.

15. ThaMule

ThaMule Mursenary

Dontoe.......It looks like that receiver hitch is just welded at the top and then on the bottom to the trailer. How much weight have you pulled with it done like that. I am looking to put something on my trailer and that looks like the simplest thing I have seen.