Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what size welding cable to use for battery install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Dec 7, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i am collecting parts for my dual battery install and relocation. i will be putting 2 red top optimas behind the front seats. what size welding cable should i get 1, 2, or 1/0 gauge /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i want to use welding cable cause of it's flexablity and i can use a smaller gauge cable

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The largest you can afford, but really depends on the length of cable and the draw it requires but usually 00 cable is best

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used two.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont use welding cable, use battery cable...i forget where but ive read that welding cable is not acceptable to carry battery current (amperage)...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    dont use welding cable, use battery cable...i forget where but ive read that welding cable is not acceptable to carry battery current (amperage)...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bullshit.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh I've seen plenty of applications using welding wire. Seeing as welders put 200+ amps through those wires I'd have to say thats bull. I'm gonna do my whole setup with zero guage. Since I'm moving the battery to the back of the K5 and want to do some real good grounds.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welding cable is fine. The finer conductor will probably pass MORE current than regular thick ass battery cables. I've still got those things for the regular cables in number two, but I run welding cable for my 2nd battery and that's what I'm going to run for my winch, too. If I could have found it thicker, I would have ran that, but they only had 4 or 2 so I got 2.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Tim on this one. (can ya believe it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

Welding cable will take plenty of current in the correct AWG. However, the one reason not to use it is the insulation. It is not rated for automotive use.

But.... with that said, I use welding cable for my stuff and have never had a problem.

John

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i would think it's a corrosion issue, not a voltage issue...

alot of the boats i work on i see systems done in welding cable, some hold up, some turn green.. great for routing tho, bends so easy. this is huge diesel stuff too, 1/0, 0/0 etc...

i would think the best thing you could use is marine battery cable. thats what i used for the trunk-mounted system in my Chevelle.. tinned copper holds up very well..

my.02 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Tim on this one. (can ya believe it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about to do a search on it and quote every time I've heard that the last two or three weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wish I had a dime......

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    i guess i'll just order so 1/0 gauge. it can hurt.

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am about to do a search on it and quote every time I've heard that the last two or three weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wish I had a dime......

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just saw your avatar /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif