Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What size......?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Uncle Fester, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    I am hoping to be able to get a new winch with our income taxes this coming spring, and need some help figuring out how big of a winch do I need?
    The truck is a 1978 Chevy Suburban 4x4, 350ci, SM465, NP205, 10 bolt front/12 bolt rear, 33x12.50x15 (might go to 35x12.50x15) tires. I do have a home made "Warn Classic" styled winch bumper, and I plan to add a heavy duty rear bumper. I also carry a asortment of hand-tools, spare tire, Hi-Lift jack, 2000 watt stereo system, and a wife and 3 kids!
    As you can guess, this truck is NOT light! What size winch will I need, should I get. Any brand recomendations also? I will have about 8 or 900 to spend, mabe a thousand.:doah:

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The bigger the better. I'd say at the least an 8k winch. With a snatch block it shouldn't leave you stranded. I'm in the market for a winch myself, and my truck isn't a lightweight either. I want to get the 16.5k one for truck, mud here tends to be like a suction cup and won't let go. As for brands, hopefully someone will post up!!! ")

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I think I'd go with between a 9 and 10K winch. If you want the best get a Warn but its gonna be $. My XD9000i cost me $950.

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

It's a suburban! im thinkin 10,000 or 12,000. your sub stock is about 7,000 right. i'd go bigger. but thats just my $.02

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If your stuck then generally you are at mire depth level 2 (buried above the center of the hub but not above the fenders). General rule in this case is to multiply the weight of the truck times 2 and thats about what you are trying to pull out. I generally try to get a winch that will support that number with a single line pull. So in your case I'm guessing your truck is between 6-7000 lbs, therefor I would use a 12 -14000 lb winch.

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Okay, so go with a 10-12K winch, what about brand name? T-Max, Warn, RAMSEY, Harbor Frieght, ???????

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keeping within the budget I think I would go with a Ramsey 10 or 12. Although I have some freinds with T maxs and they like them so far. Go one bigger on the cheaper winch though. Just cause they are in fact cheaper

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a Warn 9500. It is the best of all worlds. It pulls fast & it pulls hard. I have a Warn 12K & it is a great winch but it is SLOW & big & heavy. A Warn 9500 is smaller, easier to mount, pulls fast, & pulls hard.

I personally am a huge Warn fan & won't buy a winch without a W on it. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

Harley

9. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Military buys Mile Marker winches for all the small trucks (1.5 ton and lower). Depends on how often you plan on using it. I've heard Warn is awesome for heavy use but as someone mentioned earlier, it's gonna cost a few$$.