Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Snow Plow Do you suggest????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I know we are only getting into the summer but I moved to the country and there's only one road in and out a mile off the highway. I want to buy a plow for the front of my 86 K5 and I am wondering what success people have had, is there brands I should stay away from, and what's a reasonable price.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

Canuck

Blazers Forever

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Canuck,
    I have an 85 K5 and have a Western plow. It seems to do the job and I have not had any major problems with it. About the only thing I can tell you is to get a name brand plow so you will be assured of being able to get parts if you need them. I live in Wisconsin and in my area I mostly see Western or Meyers plows. I believe (from what I have heard) that both are pretty reliable. I have a friend who has a Meyers and his only complaint is that he has to use a special pump fluid available only through Meyers, whereas the Western uses regular automatic tranny fluid. I bought my plow about 5 years ago for $100.00 and have probably spent about the same amount on new hoses and other minor parts during this time. The newer Uni-mount plows are a lot easier to hook up when you need them and the pump stays on the plow so you don't have to drive around with the pump attached to the truck when it is not in use, but they are pretty expensive. Depending on how much plowing you plan on doing you may want to consider getting the optional auxillary battery tray so you can run dual batteries.

3. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I'll use it, and my plastic.

Go Wide or Stay@ Home

Blazers Forever

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I prefer meyers electric plows. the plows and brackets are the same from 73 thru 87. no plow pumms to leak all over the engine, no brackets that cluter up the engine compartment. parts availability is great, even my local napa has parts for them. easy to work on. the only drawback I see is that it is an electric system. good battery/batteries needed and a good charging system.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your input!!

Canuck

Blazers Forever

6. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

Here in New England everybody laughs at anybody not running a Fisher plow. I don't know if they are available where you are but out here 99.9% of the people use them including city and town highway departments. They never break and parts are readily available if you do the impossible and destroy a part.

Mike