Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What sorts of problems might I run into if I try to put a 454SS engine in my 72 Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Oct 29, 2000.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I was wondering what sort of problems I might encounter if I tried to install a 454 from a 90's 454 SS pick up into my 72 K5 Blazer?
    Will I have to move any cross members, motor mounts? Will I need to shorten/lengthen my drive shafts? Any other problems that I may encounter if I tried this swap?

I saw a 454SS engine in the paper today and had a wild thought, "Wouldn't that be cool!!!"

By the way, I currently run a worn out 350 with a SM465 and a NP 205. I also have 3:73 gears and 33 inch BF Goodrich M/Ts, if this makes any difference.

Thanks for the info,

72Blazerod

2. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

You would be better off using a GM Crate 454 than the TBI Version out of that truck. THe SS motor is a real slug with the factory setup (235 HP) (385 Ft Lbs) Emissions make it a real gas hog with little in return for performance. THe torque is nice and it can pull, but in overall street driving it's a real waste of fuel. As far as fitting it in with your current setup I Don't think your trans would fit up with the newer blocks, i think the front spline is a different size than the rear pilot in the newer mark series blocks.

91KJIMMY
    1991 GMC K5 6" superlift 36X14.50-16.5 Baja belted's
    Just sold
    1992 SS454

3. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

he is right about them being slugs as far as horsepower goes,but the torque is excellent i had a 92 it was 255hp 400pds of torque at 2500rpm.but with all the added weight it wouldnt be worth it.my was stock i only got 6-10mpg in town,and thats only 2wd,I COULD only imagine what a 4wd would do to the mpg

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'd keep looking. I believe the 454 SS trucks came with peanut port heads which aren't the greatest if you want major HP. They are great for low RPM torque though. Also, the 91 and newer engines are a Mark V design which I think require different exhaust manifolds. As far as a weight difference, there isn't much.

454 weighs: 685lbs
    350 weighs: 575lbs
    difference= 110lbs

Thats from Advance Adapters, which are for long blocks. You should add a little more for additional cooling. If you go with a BB with alum. heads and manifold, that weight would be a little closer to a SB. Your motor mounts, crossmembers, and drive shafts should be ok. You can gain some major power with a proper setup. With good heads and a mild cam, you can expect over 400hp and 450lbs of torque.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

You may have to tinker with the firewall. It seems that the engines in the 69-73 Blazers sit farther back so it may cause some clearance problems with the distributor. I may be wrong but it looks like it could get tight in there with a big block.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin