Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What spares to rebuild my rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 30, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

As I am not getting a tow rig or trailer anytime soon, I need to carry enuff spares to get me home. So far, this is what I am thinking:

Dana 60:
    axles (both sides)
    yoke
    2x driveshaft u-joints
    1 extended brakeline

14B:
    Axles
    1 brakeline
    Yoke
    2x driveline u-joint

Front & Rear Driveshafts
    TRE's
    Tie rod
    2WD steering box
    Rag Joints (Plural, right Ken /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )
    Tire Patch Kit
    Bailing wire...lots!
    Full asortment of fluids, fuses, wires, etc.
    Electric fuel pump
    Alternator
    hoses
    belts
    vacuum and fuel lines
    spark plug wires
    Spare HEI parts

What would you add to get me (mechanically) home?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

So you know, the 14bff axles are different length. One side is longer then the other, so you will have to care one for each side. Some other stuff to add.

Alternator, hoses, belts, vacuum and fuel lines, spark plug wires, plugs, coil, pickup coil, module, and more that I am not thinking of right offhand.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if you carry that much, why not just towbar a parts rig to the head of the trail and pick it back up when your done wheeling.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

towing with my "Street legal, but not street safe" trail rig is not an option.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hell, that isn't that much. I carry alot more then that around in my truck. You can read my list of crap I carry with me here.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=test&Number=671125&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Also, I just added another set of front axleshafts to my list of stuff I carry. Some of the stuff I carry does get taken out for the trail, like the snow chains, and 3 ton jack, but not much. I run heavy all the time. I am also thinking about adding another complete distributor to my trail stuff.

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> you left out the 4 most important thing's !!!!!

zip ties, duct tape, assorted hose clamps and the right tool's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to pull everything apart and put it back together.
    spare tyre, hi lift, 10 to 20 ft. of chain, snatch block's,straps and sling's </font>

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

since I run an automatic, I carry and old starter that works. If you can rebuild one, then just carry a kit.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

You can convert that rag joint to a u joint, then youll gain some strenght there, and just carry a spare u joint for it...

9. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Id add a spare hub for the front.
    This is just a suggestion.Build your rig as stout as possible.Then wheel it as much as possible this summer.When I say wheel it I mean drive it like you stoled it.By taking the hardest lines you can on the knarliest trails around or within 3 to 4 hours hours from home.Just to build confidence in your rig and your driving ability.You should have all the bugs worked out by then.O.K. with all that done now load up all the parts you listed,make a couple of phone calls to your next of kin.Head to the place they call THE HAMMERS and hope for the best.That place will expose any weaknesses you or your rig may have.

Oh yaeh dont forget to invite Tony,Frizz and I. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is the plan, Ken.

I'm hoping to toss my "Spare Drivetrain" box onto yours or Tony's trailer, as my Rig will be packed with all my camping gear.

The problem is when I have to bring it all myself. This summer the rig is going everywhere I can afford. and then some.

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just in case you guys wanted to know I think the SO CAL BIG DAWGS are gonna make a trip to the hammers over memorial day weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif