Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what spark plug wires to use with the mallory unilite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 24, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it says i have to use spiral core, carbon core or radio suppression core wires. does autozone sell these?

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Plug wires.

Usually. Accel makes a good set that you cut to fit so you can route the wires neatly and out of harms way. You don't need any tools from NASA to do it, and it's pretty simple to do yourself. The set generally cost about 30 bucks. Spend the rest on some wire looms. Accel and Mallory are both Mr. Gasket companies. If AZ doesn't have them, I know Checker/Schucks/Kragen does.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Why not mallory wires , I am sure someone in town sells them , perhaps Lopers .

4. LongIslander26

Plug wires

Sure you could use Mallory's too. MSD makes good wires. And that Speed Shop on Mesa dr and University sells Jacobs wires, That's where i got mine. They're just pretty pricey, as opposed to the ones you cut and fit yourself. Loper's on country club is good too. Got most of my stuff there.

5. down4thakrown

i was thinkin of buyin the accell 4000's. and can i use an old auto lite wire to make the dist./coil wire? do i just use the ends off the coil wire that comes in the accel kit and put them on a longer plug wire? thx

6. LongIslander26

Coil wire

If you use the old coil wire, the other 8 are only going to be as good as the one old one, so you'd just be wasting your time. The kit should come with 9 wires anyway, so, you'll have one to use on the coil.

7. down4thakrown

i wanted to know if i could make a longer coil wire just in case the one that comes with the kit doesn't reach the coil if i were to mount it inside the cab.

8. LongIslander26

Coil wire

Just open the box and take a look at what they have in there first. Plus, the wires that come in the do it yourself kit are all pretty long, and you know you're going to have a wire that's going to have alot left over after you cut it, so can use just use what's left. Also, MSD makes a grommet for routing the plug wire through the firewall so it's insulated properly, and you need 2 wires to hook up to it. 1 inside and 1 outside, so that increases how long you can make the wire. But don't make it too long, length increases resistance.

9. down4thakrown

what wire am i goin to have to cut? what 2 wires? the red and green ones or are you talkin about he coil to dist. wire

10. down4thakrown

found them but it doesnt say any thing about that extension kit

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  11. LongIslander26

Coil

If you have an HEI, the coil is in the distibutor, so just leave it right where it is. If you get the do it yourself spark plug wires, you have to cut them to length after you route them ,and then stick a boot and a connector on it for the spark plug. There's no reason to mount the coil remotely on an HEI distibutor.

12. down4thakrown

its a unilite dist. the one big pappa was selling

13. LongIslander26

Unilite

Ok, so I'm assuming you have to have a seperate coil. If you want to mount it inside the cab (Which isn't a bad idea in Mesa), you'll need a longer coil ignition wire. That wire will have to pass through the firewall at some point, and you don't want to just cram a coil wire through a bare hole, where it will rub and cause a short to ground, so MSD makes a seperate connector to do that. It's basically 2 female connectors mounted back to back. One wire goes from the distibutor to the connector, the other wire goes from the connector to the coil, and the connector mounts in a hole you drill in the firewall. Whatever wires go to the coil to power it will have to go through a seperate hole.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Accel wires suck. :tongue1: Ran a set with a unlite and a promaster coil. Looked like the 4th of july under my hood I would not use them on grandma's car. Taylor, MSD, Moroso blue max. Are best choice IMHO. You can order them all from summit

15. LongIslander26

Wires

Like I said, I run Jacobs on my rig. They cost about 80 bucks, but I've never had a problem with them. There's a place called Wilky's on University and Mesa Dr. that carries them. They carry alot of the stuff that Loper's doesn't.

16. down4thakrown

do you have the part # for the msd kit?

17. LongIslander26