Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What speed stall converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the second generation forum and got a lousy response, so mabe you cans can help me out. I'm putting in a 350 HO from GM that will be mated to Bowtie overdrives level 2 700r4 . What is a good stall speed for my application. Obviously it will never be a sports car so I know I don't need a high stall speed, but what type range would be good for my K5. MY setup is 350 HO/700r4/208/3.42. I looked at a stall converter from bowtie overdrive that has a stall from 1800 - 2200. Will this work or does it need to be lower. Give me your honest opinions. Thanks for the help. Oh here is the link for the converter.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I your running the street, sand or mud then a higher stall can really help. For crawling you might find a low stall to be more efficient and wont generate as much heat under heavy load. I wouldn't run a high stall for towing.

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

What stall speeds do you consider to be high and low stall speeds. thanks

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Stock stalls are between 1200-1500. I mostly crawl so I went with a TCI low stall Truck Converter which is about 1250 but behind my 415's off idle torque flashes higher at about 1500. I had a 68 Camaro with a 327 222/222 cam which was a dog off the line with a 2200 stall but screamed off the line with a 2800 stall. If I was to mud bog my truck, I'd probably want a 2400-2600 stall but I make a lot of bottom end, with a 350 I'd go a little higher around 2800.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The 1800 to 2200 range is fine. A friend has that motor in his truck with at T-400 and a 2200 stall convertor. It works great for all around driving and performance.

Like said before, if you are rock crawling, go lower.

John

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I agree that the 1800 - 2200 stall is a nice converter BUT with a 700 trans and 3.42's you're going to have to be careful that you don't create a situation where your cruising rpm is inside the stall range. What is your usual crusing rpm? If your cruising rpm is inside this range the converter will constantly be generating heat due to the fact it is not comletely locked up yet. Be careful...

7. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

The cruise RPM is critical here, especially with the heat sensitive 700R. If you run a 2200 stall with 3.42 and 33" (or larger) tires your probably going to be creating LOTS of heat for the tranny when cruising down the highway.(I havent done the calcs yet, but I think 33 is the edge)

The TC acts like a clutch and lets the engine keep turning when you come to a stop. In basic terms, the stall rating is the RPM below which the TC isnt pumping much fluid against the tranny side and this allows you to stop without stalling the engine.

This function of the TC also creates lots of heat/friction when its near the stall speed. If your stall is close to your cruise range, you'll likely burn up that tranny in short order.

One thing that can help here is to make sure you do get a lockup converter. Lockup uses a clutch like stator to mechanically couple the tranny to the engine, eliminating the heat buildup from friction in the TC at cruise speed when in lockup.

I suggest you discuss your converter choices with the Bowtie Overdrive guys who seem know their stuff with regard to 700R setups.

8. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I called the guys a bowtie overdrive, and he said that this torque converter would work for my application, but after seeing the replies to this post I still wonder if it will work. Let me get this right, if I have a lockup converter the stall speed will not matter when I'm cruising because the converter will be lock up and thus mechanically coupled to the engine. I know that the tranny I'm looking at is design to work with the lockup converter. I don't spend alot of time on the rocks, mostly I play in the sand and run woods trails, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself to those because of the stall converter. I'm going to call the bowtie guys back tomorrow and see what he says about the cruising speed and stall speed issue, but still reply and tell me what you think. Thanks for all the help and information. I swear becoming a member to this site was the best 25 bucks I ever spent. Thanks a lot. Oh and I found a rpm calculator on there site, and with 33 and 3.42 I run in the 1800 - 2200 rpm range driving around 70-90. Thanks again.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go with the convertor Bowtie recomends. They know their stuff and what works best with their trannys.
    And you are right. It doesn't matter what the stall speed is if its a locking convertor. When you are at crusing speed, it is locked and directly coupled to the engine. So the stall speed is not an issue.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a 2400 stall and for daily driving and mud I love it. Rock running and snow I don't. I'm always riding the brakes to get the control that I need and sometimes that is not enough. After the mud race season is over I am planning on swapping it out for a stock one.