Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what starter for a 6.2 w/ sm465??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by k5boy1983, Sep 4, 2006.

1. k5boy1983

k5boy1983 Registered Member

alright yall, i got 86 k5 w/ 83 6.2 with a gas motor flywheel, mated to a cast iron (non hydraulic) bellhousing w/ a sm465 to that (also from a gas motor). (and a doubler but that dont matter).

my problem is that the stock starter (for the gas motor) that bolts to the bellhousing (not the block) just doesn’t have enough power to turn over the motor. (which i figured since the compression is different in the diesel). and the diesel starter that i have (the one that went w/ the motor originally) a. wont fit w/ the bellhousing that i have, and b. has a different amount of teeth than the other one. which leads me to believe that it only works w/ the diesel flywheel.

so... is there an application for the starter that i can use, (that will bolt to the bellhousing)? or do i just need to get a diesel flywheel? (hopefully not). any help would be appreciated.
    thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 6.2 is externally balanced and uses it's own specific flywheel, so IMO I'd pony up for the correct flywheel first. Second, the 6.2 also uses it's very own starter which bolts to the block rather than the bellhousing. The better of the 2 factory starters is the 28 MT gear reduction starter.

Rene

3. k5boy1983

k5boy1983 Registered Member

thanks for the response,
    i wasnt aware that it was externally balanced (guess ill have to look better at the harmonic balancer).

i figured that the diesel flywheel would be better, but w/ the gasser bellhousing, the diesel starter (of which i have) will not fit (interference w/ the bellhousing). can i plasma the bellhousing till it fits? i figure that where i would need to cut is not load bearing or integral to the integrity of the housing.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have the cast bellhousing for the small block/465, if you get the aluminum bell housing you won't have interference.
    You could cut of the interfering piece but the aluminum bell is plentifull and cheap.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X2 on the aluminum bell...cheap and plentiful, especially the non hydro clutch ones.

Rene