Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what starter will fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Dec 13, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I got a starter about a month ago from auto zone. I installed it without any shims. wednesday it started grinding alot and yesterday it just started free spinning. The flywheel is ok but the starter gears are all worn. Im going to replace it today but iwant to uprgade to a better starter. What is the best OEM (from any other truck)that will bolt right up to my 350 small block? I hear i should use one from an old corvette BB but will it have the same bolt pattern, or one from a new chevy with gear reduction. I want one that has a higher torque rating and a quieter start. Also how should i install the starter so that i dont break it again?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The biggest issue is probably the brand (Auto Zone) more so than the actual starter application. Find an AC Delco brand remanufactured starter and try that. As far as what will fit, most Chevy V8 (sbc/bbc) starters are interchangeable.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

From what I have learned there only 2 different Chevrolet starters(I think this is for small and big block) theres one for the small fly wheel and one for the big Im guessing you have the big. If you really want to spend some money on a starter I would recommend a hi-tq mini starter which should match any Chevrolet pattern. I mini starter sposibaly last longer when you have headers because its farther away from the headers and you can also (even with a regular starter) put header wrap on the solenoid (the part where the wires go in) You said you bought a auto zone starter which I don’t like because the sold me one that was already bad, but Im thinking it should have a life time or 3year warranty so you could go back and try to get a replacement. As for why the teeth are gone is its gotta is it has to be catching the flywheel when you put it in make sure when you rev it and stomp the gas in drive and rev and when you go flex even a little its not hitting if it does play with shims.

<font color="red"> If anyone sees any part of this information to be wrong please tell me and him </font color>
    Oh yea and If you but a hi tq ask a few questions to varrify what I told you

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you need to place 2 shims on the outer bolt... away from flywheel... only on that bolt.. you need to shim half the starter... it's what i have to do.. all the time... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif