Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what starter would you guys recommend?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jan 2, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 and i am going to be replacing my starter soon and i was wondering which one to go with, i know i could just go to Pep Boys and get one but i am not sure on the quality of them, what have you guys done, thanks.

Sean

2. therover87

is it worth it to go with a high performance one or just get a generic one?

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do you run headers at all? Consider this if you do because of the heat problems and the starter not working until it cools down. Like one of those mini high powered starters. If you don't have headers or a heat problem then my suggestion is to not buy a cheap starter and slap it in there. You buy cheap you get cheap results. And a starter dying on you out in the middle of nowhere sucks big time. I have an AC Delco one and it seems to work great. Just make sure no matter what you do get a warrenty.........

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

anything that has a life time warrenty

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I run a GM gear drive mini starter on the 427BB, used one on the 513 Cad and also used them on the 383 &amp; 350's I ran. Nothing beats them when it comes to high temp engine heat.
    Have never had a problem with "heat soak" or slow starting. I also run remote starter solinoids mounted like F**D's.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

The gear reduction starter used on 94-96 full-sized trucks with 350 and 454 engines is supposed to be the strongest, 1.7 Kilowatts. It weighs 8 pounds. I wonder if a diesel starter will bolt up to a small block?

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel

7. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

A diesel starter will bolt up to a small block. The only disavantage would be the cost I guess. Also because of the size, the solenoid would be kinda close to the manifolds. I bolted mine on for kicks when I had my engine out but I didn't have the headers on.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

8. where did you get your remote selenoid kit? how much was it? it was my understanding that the heat kills the selenoid not the starter.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

9. therover87

has anyone had any experience with Powermasters starters, i have their alternator and was wondering if their starters are any good.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty. Its my experience if you don't you'll replace it every year.

90K5

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jason,

Summit sells a remote solenoid kit...$25 or so. Somebody posted a wiring diagram for those of us that wanted to wire it up ourselves rather than buy a kit. I think it was a Nova site or something that had the info.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All you have to do is run your start wire to the solenoid, hook it to the positive cable, and put a large gauge wire between the start terminal and the battery terminal on your starter. It's a very simple circuit.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles