Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what steering box to get?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jekbrown, Nov 27, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Stephen, I am having some flat-top D44 knuckles shipped out to ya pretty soon to get machined and included with one of your 10-bolt x-over steering kits. To that end, I'll need to get a new steering box. If my only source of info was wheelin mags...I'd think AGR was my only option...but some people have posted some not so favorable reviews. Along the lines of "I paid a premium price for this thing and its not any better than a the napa sbl!" Not good. =\

I want to get a new SB, not a junk yard one....but dont wan't to spend MAD cash either. What/who do you recommend?

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. Take the shaft out of a 2WD box and put in your 4WD box and voila you have what you need !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

3. jekbrown

If my current box was in a-ok shape...I'd be all for it...right now its a leaky mess. I dont really much of anything about steering boxes...can they be rebuilt easily/cheaply? I think I may have tweaked it a little when I did my ORD body lift...and its been on the downhill ever since. I could use a new steering shaft I think...

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. The first body lift I put in my 88 K5 ended up being the the beginning of a leaky mess too. I think I yanked the shaft too much trying to get it loosened up and slid down. I should have disconnected the shaft first. (DUH) I ended up getting one from a junk yard for $50. You might want to look into that hydrasteer that Fox is looking into doing on the UAV.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We're actually looking at carrying the AGR boxes, I've never had any problems with them, but I may be one drop in a bucket, we'll see.
    I'm not sure what else to do for a box, a rebuild from a parts store is probably done by a quality builder, but I doubt they do any performance upgrades, though I don't know for sure what's available to upgrade a box other than ratio selection.
    Maybe keep doing your homework? I don't have a good answer for this one.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

get a rebuilt 2wdr box from a reputable shop
    make certain to match your year as the input shafts differ over the years

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Matt from <a target="_blank" href=http://westtexasoffroad.com>westtexasoffroad.com</a> can rebuild your 2x4 box and install the proper ports you will need for hydro assist for 150.00, not bad because just a basic rebuild from Checker or Napa will run over 200. I just got my box back from him the other day so I will let you know how it goes as soon as my wife gives me the time to install it. [​IMG]

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Or go the cheap route and buy a junkyard 2WD box, or from someone parting out a 2WD truck. If it leaks or goes bad, go spend antoher $20 for another one. AGRs are over rated in my book, lots of advertising makes everyone think that they absolutely NEED an AGR box. What on earth did we do before AGR came around???

ken

9. jekbrown

CK5, yeah, lemme know how the old hydro boost works. Since the final evolution of my Jimmy will run 39.5s off-road...a lil steering boost might be a good thing....

BTW, Stephen..."dont have a good answer" ? yikes! There is something I never thought I'd hear from you. ;) jk man, ORD rules, keep it up. =)

J

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure $250 for a steering box is that bad a price, considering there's no core charge and you have your choice of ratios and input fittings. I priced local rebuilds and they want 200 to do the rebuild with a $200 core charge, so outright you're paying $400 or more. It's hard to knock the junkyard specials, they typically work, just a question of how well and for how long. They make really good spares!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>