Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What steering box to use?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2quicK5, Jul 5, 2001.

1. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

I am planning to replace my worn out original steering box and was wondering what is the best steering box swap. Is there a late model box that I can get out of a junkyard that will fit with minimal mods to the frame? What do most people use instead of the stock box?

John

1972 K5 Blazer: 400 ci, 4 sp, 4" springs, 35" Tires

2000 Trans Am, A4
    11.97@114 mph

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I looked into this and found this web site http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The AGR box is basically a detailed, plated, and blueprinted stock box. There's nothing really special about it that I know of. It has the same ratio as stock. I'd go Burt4x4's route and get a rebuilt stocker...

4. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

I'll probably get a rebuilt box from my local AutoZone. They quoted me $159. Thanks for the advice guys! :)

John

1972 K5 Blazer: 400 ci, 4 sp, 4" springs, 35" Tires

2000 Trans Am, A4
    11.97@114 mph

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

AutoZone??? hmmmmm, duno if I would shop there?? Kinda like buying a cheep pair of jeans when you really wanted a pair of 501s.
    just my .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099</A>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone is the greatest autoparts store in exitstance. Mine anyway. Those guys really help me out, while the guy at Napa is a real prick.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That might be true but the parts they sell suck IMHO.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

8. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

Ditto. I've worked at both and there is little doubt that NAPA's rebuilt parts are of a higher quality. It will probably come with a waranty from autozone, but how many times do you want to do the same job. My $0.02.

9. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

According to the specs the AGR box that I have has a variable 13:1 - 17:1 ratio. I believe the stock box is 24:1.
    JT

10. Steve_Chin

Interesting. When I was talking to the guy at AGR, he said that the ratio was the same as stock. A friend also has an AGR box and his Blazer's steering input isn't any different than it was originally.

11. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

According to the AGR web site, they have two different boxes... the SB1 is a fixed 16:1 ratio and the SB2 has a variable 17:1 to 13:1. Steve, do you know which one your friend has? I too am shopping for a new box and the SB2 looks attractive, but why spend the money if it's not worth it...

12. greatwhite

greatwhite Registered Member

this is an interesting, i have recently purchased a 72, blazer and checked everything in the steering componects and felt
    (as the last owner did) that the stock steering box is too quick on the freeway. is that a characteristic you guys just deal with?

13. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

My problem was that the old box took too much steering wheel travel on the highway to keep going straight. A lower ratio means less steering wheel movement needed to correct direction.

Steve, I have several steering boxes at home from different year trucks (71,79,AGR). I can check the ratios to verify the AGR info. I'll post results.

JT

14. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

OK my friends, here is the scoop. I took the boxes and measured the range of rotation of the output shaft. In all cases it was 90 degrees. I then turned the input shafts lock to lock and counted rotation and got this:

1971 stock box = approx 4.25 rotations lock to lock
    AGR SB2 = approx 3.1 rotations lock to lock

If you mulitply by 4 (90 degrees output shaft x 4 = 360 degrees or one revolution of output shaft), you get ratios of 17:1 for the stock box and 12.4:1 for AGR. Neither of these match up to published ratios for these boxes, so I am willing to agree there is more to figuring the ratio than this. But in any case, the AGR has a 30% lower ratio than the stock 1971 unit.
    JT

15. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the AGR info. By the way, you guys should go visit Jeff's web site if you haven't already. That's one awesome restoration! Let me make it easy...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jt-k5.rockcrawler.com/photo.html>http://www.jt-k5.rockcrawler.com/photo.html</A>

16. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliment. I need to make some time to add to the site with updated photos . Should be posted soon. See ya! JT

17. Steve_Chin

71RestoRod, sorry I don't know which box he has. I thought that they only had the one model for the Blazers (their tech guys never mentioned anything about a faster ratio, and I specifically was asking about a faster ratio box because the stock box is frustratingly slow).