Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What stick from an automatic

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Currently I have a th350 behind my 350, but I want something with a little steeper first gear and something with an overderive. What manual tranny would you suggest. I was thinking about getting a NVG 4500. (If i remember righ that is the one) Its got a 5.33:1 first gear and a .75 over drive or something in that area. (five speed) Anyone have one of these in their blazer? What all do i need to get to convert my truck to one of those other than the tranny and new bell housing? I know a couple companies that sell them, but does anybody know a good donor vehicle for one? I know advance adapters makes kits for these to mate to small block chevy. I was thinking about doing the swap this summer, but although i have alot of mechanical experience i dont know alot about manual trannies. Many people say the swap to a manual is not worth it, but the addition of two gears and the fun of driveing a manual seems like it is worth it to me. Let me know what all is involved if ya can. (espessialy with that tranny, i.e. slave cylinder or not) Any other transmissions suggested other than a 700r. I dont really want to mess with one of those because of the torque converter lock up problem and because i want a granny gear. (hehe) Thanks

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have a th350 now, why not just get the SM465? Doesn't have OD, but you don't right now either. Besides that, it will fit no problem, unlike the NV4500. You are right, the NV4500's OD will be great, thats why I'm looking for one. Not sure the exact applications, but heres a bunch of info http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    the sm465 is a sweet tranny, but seing as how i do 90 % of my on road driveing on the highway I want an overdrive. The NV 4500 still has a very nice 1st gear, but after that it is very similar to a 700r4 in gear ratios. If I had an overdirve like that i would probably get close to 20mpg on the highway where now I get about 12mpg at 75mph, and that is because i have 33's and a 3.42:1 axle ratio.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What did you do to the truck to get 12mpg? I can't believe 15MPH would do that to your mileage. I am expecting at minimum 17MPG freeway on my truck. 350 (stock AFAIK) Q-jet, SM465, NP205, 3.42's, and 33's. My last K5, with WELL worn 305, would pull 17 with the 700 and rebuilt Q-jet, with 31" tires. I always drive at the limit (60 here) so thats a real good indicator of the possibilities IMO. With a better running (read less wear) 350, my mileage is likely the same, with OD, less MPG, but 2" taller tires, on the 3.42's, and I think I will be right in that area, especially once I really start digging into the Q-jet..if I don't finish my Vortec headed 350 project for it first.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>