Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What T-case and Tranny?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Apr 2, 2002.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I came across a truck with a 75 frame and a 79 body, so the decals didn't help determine what it was. Had a dana 44 with the huge outer hubs and a 14 bolt. It was also standard. So i'm assuming a sm465, but what for the T-case?? To muddy to lay on my back and get under there. Thanks - Doug

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Should be a 10 spline NP 205 with the yoke front output.

Rene

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

good to use for the doubler? Or just keeping looking for more compatible stuff?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well...it's not a weak combo, but it's not what I'd use if I was shopping with a doubler in mind. The early 205 had the yoke front output which isn't quite as strong as the later style with the flange front output. Also this is a 10 spline combo and the drivesleeve and splines are somewhat prone to wear.

The ideal would be a SM465/NP 205 from a mid 80's K30. It's all 32 spline, but good luck finding that set-up.

If you want to do a 4 speed doubler look for 77 and newer 205. The input can be changed to 32 spline with some basic machining and a new input gear from ORD. This is not a tough swap at all. Find a SM 465 from an 81 or newer truck...they were all 32 spline output. Then talk to Stephen about what doubler parts you'll need.

Confused yet?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene