Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What temp thermo should I use and pusher fan ?'s...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Mar 9, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What temp thermo should I use and pusher fan ?\'s...

Would a 160 degree thermostat be ok to use on my stock (other than cam) 350? I overheat with this stupid flex fan, but I don't have a stock one to replace it with. Also, a 12" pusher fan will fit in front of my A/C condenser, what do you think about adding this to it? Summer is coming fast here, and I need to get ready.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: What temp thermo should I use and pusher fan ?\'s...

ive HEARD never to mount a pusher and puller fan together, for some reason they make each other more or less useless. As for stat i say that would be fine.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I'd get a stock fan behind the rad... past that you might have to replace/recore your rad(tubes could be plugged, fins could have deteriorated).

Sticking in a 160 stat will only allow the coolant to go through the rad sooner... but if the rad can't dissipate the heat..... the stat isn't going to help.

Hit the junkyard and find a stock GM truck serpentine belt clutch fan. It'll be cheaper than an electric so if it does work more money for something else and if it doesn't you know you have a problem in the rad.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the engine overheats, then it really doesn't matter what the temp rating is on the thermostat. Something is not providing enough cooling for the engine. A 195 degree thermostat will keep the temp right in the 195 degree range, IF the rest of the cooling system is operating properly. My guess is that most of the tubes in the radiator are clogged, so it can't get rid of the heat that the engine is creating.

The old myth that running with no thermostat will make the engine run hot is just that, a myth. If the coolant goes through the radiator faster, then it will also go through more often. The net result is that the same amount of heat will be transferred.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would stay away from the flex fan and the e-fan.

There arn't many systems out there that work better than a stock fan with a working thermo clutch. You can buy both new if you have to.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Radiator's a year old. 3-row Modine. Coolant flows powerful. Putting my hand in front of the grille, I don't feel a good breeze. You can't lower the radiator shroud with a body lift on mine, so I had to cut out the bottom of it for the fan to fit. The bottom 3-4" of the fan are below the bottom of the shroud. Should I do something to close up the bottom of the shroud or what? I don't think the fan is at a good location to pull air directly through the radiator, that's why I thought about an electric fan.

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I have a question about the flex fan. I run a flex on my blazer and i havs had no problems with it. My ? is why would you use a stock fan/clutch over a flex ???? Will the stock setup work better than a flex ?

thanks

Dan...

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Clutch fans allow better cooling when the vehicle is moving, and when the engine is "cool" (not needing the fan) the clutch setup "stalls", and slips on the shaft, meaning you aren't wasting HP to turn the fan against the air like with a flex fan.

9. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I have a flex fan on my other toy and with a fairly mild 350, the flex fan can't keep up with the cooling for extended high rpm periods( ie 3500- redline). The blades have already bent and provide little to no cooling. The HP gained by adding a flex fan is almost nil when you have a properly operating clutch fan.

Get rid of it and grab a stock fan..... also try and patch up the bottom of the rad shroud. It might not help a lot but it should help a bit... just use some sheet steel and rivets and give it a try.

10. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I highly recommend going with an electric fan. I have dual electric fans on my '89 Sub and have had no problems with cooling. If you stick to a mechanical fan, definitely go with a stock style clutch fan and modify your fan shroud so that the fan can actually pull air through the radiator.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend has a mustang with cooling issues, and hes swapped in a few different fans and so on. With the shroud cut or patched, it didn't seem to make MUCH difference.

I'm sure it helps some, but since the cost of a shroud is so little (plastic, so GM didn't spend much on them, and there is almost no weight penalty) if GM only got a 2 degree reduction in engine temp because of a shroud, they would still have used it.

FWIW, you don't even NEED a fan when the vehicle is moving and doesn't see a lot of load (hill climbs that bog the engine, likely towing, and so on).