Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What temperature do yall run?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Mar 16, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, the reason why I'm asking how high does the temp get when yall drive yall trucks is b/c I just installed new gauges for my truck. My previous ones didn't work right(that's why I cracked a cylinder) Anyways, after driving the truck about a mile, going avg of 30-40mph, the temp read almost 2/3 the way towards the max. I think it read like 220 degerees f, not celcius. Is that really high? Just wanted to know before I blow something else up. Thanks
    Boss

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

blazin\' hot

could be your thermostat, or your water pump. the bad gauge didn't crack your cylinder, high temperatures did. if you didn't cure the original problem, it will reoccur. you'll just know immediately beforehand is all.

anyway, my 89 runs a little lower than half-way, i think.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HOT!!
    My 72K5 runs at and between 185-195
    above 215 I would be worried!!
    Stuck thermostat may be the easiest place to start!
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. Boss

Re: blazin\' hot

Delta9,

Yeah, I know the theromostat didn't crack my cylinder. It cracked b/c I ran the engine extremely hot without knowing. Now I got the new GM crate in there and also a new thermostat with 3 new guages (oil, amp, and water). Now when I checked the water, it seemed to be a little high after only running it for a mile or two. The oil pressure read in the middle, the amp read almost all the way to the max, but the water was reading 2/3 of the way to the HOT side. A little too high I thought for only driving a couple of miles lightly too. It might of read 210, not 220, but still I thought it was too high.
    Boss

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Re: blazin\' hot

Sounds pretty hot to me as well.

I run 190 with the new thermostat I put in when I put my new radiator in. The old therm read about 170 or so, but it seems to be running fine at just to the left of the middle on the gauge.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Both of mine run about 180-185. Thats at the first mark on the factory gage maybe just a hair past. Running the A/C on my 79 in the dead of summer I might run half way on the gage witch is about 200. Both of my trucks have new fan clutches. Both have 180 thermostats. Both will actully run cool idling in the summer. Now the FI engies do run a little warmer at about 200-210.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

On normal street driving I run at 190 tops. But when wheeling I run a little hot. Depending on how hard I wheel I sometimes get to 230 and have to shut her down. It was worse when I had the stock fan setup, since then I went to a permacool elec fan. I have replaced the waterpump, thermostat, radiator, hoses. If I take it easy when wheeling then it doesnt overheat. Usually runs about 205.

8. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

If it is a brand new engine I would expect it to run alittle hotter. The tolerances are tight cuasing temp and all that. If it is still like that after awhile I would check it out.

Zack Carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

9. Boss

Zack,

Sigh of relief after I read your post. Thought I bought a damn crappy engine. For how many miles do you think it is suppose to be like this? After the first 500? But you're right, it is a brand new crate engine from paceparts.
    Boss

10. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'm with Zack. Did you get specific break-in instructions with the crate motor? I read some one day when surfing the GM Performance Parts web site. Edit: Yup, here they are from the link labled "2000 Online Crate Engine Part List" at http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/parts/performance_top_frame.htm

RECOMMENDED CRATE ENGINE START-UP PROCEDURE
    Check

1. SAFETY FIRST! If the car is on the ground, be sure the emergency brake is set, the wheels are chocked, and the transmission cannot fall into gear.

2. Be sure to check the oil level in the engine and prime the oil system

3. Run the engine between 2,000 and 2,500 RPMs, with no-load on the engine for the first 30 min.

4. Adjust the distributor timing roughly by hand for a quick start up and smoothest idle possible.

5. Adjust the carburetor settings, if necessary.

6. After the first 30 minutes of the engine running, set the ignition timing (see install ignition section for timing specifications).

7. Drive the vehicle with varying speeds and loads on the engine for the first 30 miles. Be sure not to use a lot of throttle or high RPM.

8. Run five or six medium-throttle accelerations to about 5,000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

9. Run a couple hard-throttle accelerations up to about 5000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

10. Change the oil and filter with 10w30SG oil and PF1218 AC Delco oil filter (PN 251605610

11. Drive the next 500 miles normally, without high RPM's (below 5,000 RPM), hard use, or extended periods of high loading.

12. Change the oil and oil filter again.

13. Your engine is now ready for many happy cruising miles!

Good Luck Boss,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When you replaced your motor did you get your rad cleaned and flushed? Maybe there's some goo obstucting proper coolant flow. When I did the motor in my 59 half ton I pulled the rad and got a shop to chemical clean it. Just a thought...........

12. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Mine runs about 160 to 170 on a 70 degree day, however I run no thermostat...WK

13. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

My 74 runs about 185-190, about a year it was running 200+, I tried every thing, new thermostat, water pump ect... Finally my father recommended haveing the radiator cleaned and hydro tested. It turned out to be the the whole problem, 60% flow restriction really will cause an engine to heat up quick and it only cost about $60, not a bad price compaired to a new radiator.

14. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

its run 185-190. I have it set on my electric fan. Seems fine. it does get a bit warm idleing for long periods.

15. AIRBORNE

AIRBORNE Registered Member

Same here, I have a rebuilt 350n TBI, I have all new 195* thermo, hight flow flex fan (THE GOOD ONE WITH WIDE BLADES) good water pump and I run 200-205*. Gets warmer in summer. Guess I had better have the rad chemical flushed, not the flushing I did myself with the kit from Western Auto.

16. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

MY GAGUE IS THE SAME WAY. BUT THE GAGUE IS 30-40 DEGREES OFF. WARM UP THE ENGINE WITH THE READIATOR CAP OFF AFTER IT WARMS UP THROGH A THERMOMETER IN THERE AND ESTABLISH HOW FAR OFF THE GAGUE IS

17. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I run 165-170. Most crate motors come with the cam broken in. My first reaction is ... are you sure the radiator is full? Sounds like a dumb question, but I've taken a new vehicle "ready to ride" for a test and about trashed the motor for this reason. Just checking...

Most new or freshed motors run alittle warm, 10 degrees or so for just a couple of days. If your still hot, you have a problem Houston.

Good luck.

18. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Off the subject but, Canmore,i'd love to see some pics of the 59.I have one too.I'm pretty sure yours is a bit nicer.

<font color=green>Yes,I have driven over a F*&d lately!</font color=green>[​IMG]

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I had a h*ll of a time last yr with my temp. I couldnt keep it cool. Now with a new rad, thermostat (195), dual electric fans, and an auto temp switch (210 on, 190 off) it runs great. It is a 327 bored .060 over tho so it will run a little warmer than a stock motor I think.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

With 195 thermostat in a very recently rebuilt 350 block with brand new Vortec heads and Comp Cams cam, Edelbrock induction, I run about 200 degrees in the nice weather. It stays pretty cool in the summer, with the old heads anyways. Everything in the cooling system has been replaced in the last year and a half...even the heater core.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad