Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the biggest tires i can run?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Apr 30, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

I have a k-5 with 1/2tons, Dana 44 front and 10 bolt rear, whats the largest tires i can run on these axles? I do pretty much just muddin', not too much trail. Thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

We need more info on your rig. Is it lifted or stock? I'm stock running 33X12.50 on 15x8s if that helps.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would not go over 36in tires with half ton running gear

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I think of it as pretty common rule that if you are going to be running it hard I wouldnt go past a 35x12.50. Also keep in mind that the type of tire also makes a difference in how much abuse the parts take. For say a 33 swamper is probably rougher on a truck than a 35 all terrain. I know some foks will say oh you dont have to wheel a more aggressive tread as hard but the bottom line is when you put it on the floor the all-terrain will have more give.

5. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

My brother ran 40inch tires on his dana 44 for 2 years. He lost one hub and thats it. He did beat the crap out of it as well.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

im a prime example of what happens...i ran every tire size from 33s to 38s on my 1/2 ton stuff...years went by and everything held up fine...then one day while i am turning into my neighborhood with 36s on it i hear a strange clicking...sure enough i pop the cover and pieces of my gov lok fall out all over the driveway...if they are built right they can withstand a lot of abuse...but mine were stock and they couldnt hold out but for so long

Later

7. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

the reason i ask, is cause i wanna ran 38's, at least 37's. I pretty much just go muddin, not too many trails at all, guess i can put my 35's back on for the trail

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

You can run any size tire you want. The bigger you go the higher risk of breaking your 1/2 tons. You would be ok with 37's.

9. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Run what makes you feel the best about it. I blew a 10 bolt gov loc on 33 swampers and front D44 gears on 36 swampers. The ten bolt was a 92 and lived most of its life with 32Mud Terrains. Hey at least if the rear end blows it wont cost much to upgrade.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i anilated a 12bolt with 33's in the sand/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Did it have any gear lube in it? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Did it have any gear lube in it? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I blew up a 10 bolt gov-lok with 32''s and I destroyed the ring and pinion on a 12 bolt with 35''s. I have friends that run 40''-44'' boggers on their 10 bolts and that is working for them (asphalt cowboys). I guess it really depends how hard you use it and how well it is built. If you are not doing any serious wheelin or you don't intend to use low range much, you should be fine with 37''-38''s.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

More info would help... but...

if the axles are bone stock... and mud was what you planned on running, I'd stick with 35x12.5s or smaller. You would need, of course, some way to fit said tires... but your question wasn't about lifts or body mods...

J

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

in this month's FourWheeler they have a Yukon on 44" Boggers with a D44 and a C10B :rolleyes:

you can run whatever you want. if you want to wheel as opposed to wrench, stay under 36"

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Are you running big horsepower? Auto or manual? What is your driving style? I ran 36's on a 12bolt rear and 10 bolt front for a while. The 12 bolt eventually died pulling out of my driveway. I would say 37's would be fine. Unless you are getting extreme, you will probably be fine. Also make sure that the 1/2 ton axles are in top shape...fresh gear dope....Ujoints...etc. My personal feeling is that the small roller bearing inside the spindle helps support the stub axle and eases the load on the steering Ujoint. The part# for the inside-the-spindle bearing and related seals is Federal Mogul SBK-1 for 1/2 and 3/4 ton and SBK-3 for 1ton.