Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the?? Cheapo muffler pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZZ4x4, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I got these cherry bomb mufflers because they were cheap. Only have about 100 miles on em, and finally did some high reving of the ZZ4. I guess some mufflers just can't flow.
    Might explain why I felt the top end was not quite right.
    Better get some Flowmasters?
    Any other suggestions? Also I have 2.25 inch dual pipes. Is this too small for 400hp? I know the recommendation is 2.5inch but wondering how much it's really limiting the power. I don't rev high too much, and wondering if the smaller pipes might be helping the low end torque. I have Thorley Tri-Y headers and no H-pipe.

[​IMG]

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

The B-body LT1 guys love the Summit Turbos for the price and performance. Might want to check them out.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dont get me wron i love flowmasters, thats waht i run, but for power all the top engine builders in the us seem to running magnaflow mufflers, so might consider those

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I run the Summit Turbos on my ElCamino.
    They flow very good, theyre cheap and pretty good quality.
    Another option might be the Dynomax or Magnaflows which are a straight thru pipe with no restrictions.

I have had very good luck with the Summit turbos

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Wow, and the Summit turbos are only $14.95! Cheaper than the ones I have!

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have the Summit turbos in my cude pushing close to 400hp, and I haven't had any problems. Kinda has a bad resonance at idle in gear, however.

I really like the new Flowmaster Super 40's I put on the blazer. Alot more expensive than turbos though. $80 w/free t-shirt.

I personally prefer 2.5" exhaust. Thats what I'm running on the cuda and the blazer.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a stainless steel turbo muffler do that one time. But it was caused by a couple of injectors being stuck closed on my TPI setup. The engine had sat for over a year and the early GM injectors had a design flaw. Just driving the truck that way for 90 miles or so (hoping that the injectors would free themselves) wasted the muffler. The "missing" exhaust pulses set up some weird vacuum pulses in the exhaust. At idle you could actually see the muffler oil-canning in and out. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The stress of flexing made it split open just like yours. Is your engine running on all eight? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. lrmccain

lrmccain Registered Member

That looks more like a combustion problem than just the muffler won't flow... Just me though /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Harry and lrmc, Yeah, those thoughts definitely crossed my mind. What if I backfired or what if I was running so rich that there was an explosion in the muffler? But the truck sounds fine and has good power. The exhaust pulses from each pipe seem like they're all there. The plugs have a good color. I haven't had any backfiring since I intially set up the carb long ago. I could have stressed it before though, and it finally gave way. The last muffler on this truck ( with a different engine and exhaust system) ballooned up like a blowfish. I guess my rig just doesn't like mufflers! Maybe I'll just do open headers /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif My neighbors will think NASCAR has come to town /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have the same chery bomb muflers in a 2.5" dual, sounds good and flows decend. would probably sound better and flow better if i didn't use a harbor freight pipe bender to bend my exhaust pipe, its probably equilivant to 1.75" pipe in the bends /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running 2.5" exhaust through 50 series Flowmasters..
    and I also have a crossover pipe..to equalize back pressure..for my zz4..

I would say...hop up to 2 1/2...and get a better muffler...

Do you have headers that fit the zz4??

If you do...the 2.25 is too small..for the amount of flow...

12. bga

bga Registered Member

If you were building a racecar, I'd recommend Borla ProComp's and 3" pipe.

However since it's a truck, the Summit mufflers, Flowmaster 40 Series, or Flowmaster Big Block Series with 2.5" pipe would work very well together.

The 2.5" pipe will still create enough backpressure to help with low end torque and keep you mufflers from drowning if you have to idle in water for a while.