Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the f*ck happened to my sub?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Capman2k, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My brother installed my 12" Sub yesterday in my truck... it worked fine until a few hours ago when I changed a blown speaker... Everything is still connected, fuse in the amp is okay... I can't think of anything else to check. The speaker isn't even trying to go "boom"... What the heck happened to it??

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Capman,

We're going to need a little more info to help you....is the subwoofer running on the same amp as the speakers that were "blown"....or does it have it's own amp?

Without more details, all I can suggest is to systematically trace backwards from the subwoofer.....through the amp....through the RCAs that lead back to the head unit.....find out where the signal stops. There's always a chance that you accidentally got a few "threads" of speaker wire shorted out and the amp has shut down. Or the fuses may LOOK fine, but may actually be blown on the edges where you can't see it. (use an ohmmeter or test light to be sure!)....Maybe one of the RCAs got knocked loose, either on the deck or the amp.......maybe there's some kind of switch on the amp that got accidentally "switched"???? Maybe the ground got knocked loose on the amp.....or the +12V turn on lead got disconnected so the amp isn't turning on......

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

hrmmm... I guess I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow /forums/images/icons/frown.gif...

As for what I'm running, I have a Jensen CD315X, 600 watt 2 channel American Legacy LA560 Amp, and one 12" sub that's blue and has a red squiggly line with a white "CA" on it in the middle (Don't know what brand it is)...

Fergot to add: The amp is only to the Sub, the speakers are directly from the stereo...

Thanks......
    Carl

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ran it by the radio shop here in town and they said the amp had a bad ground and fried the amp /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif... and of course I threw away the receipt, so I'll have to get another one and smack my brother a bit/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif