Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the F is broken?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72junker, Apr 23, 2000.

1. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

I'm rebuilding a 72k5 that I've had for about 6 years. In a fit of stupidity I jumped it and broke something. When it landed it developed a "slight" problem,it's always in neutral. It's not the shift linkage. I dropped the transfer case and it appears to work. The transmission tailshaft locks in park and turns when cranked. I put the case (np203) back in and it still doesn't move. On jack stands is spins, but that's it. I don't thinks it's the rear end (front hubs are shot and front driveshaft's still propped up in the corner.) Anyone got a suggestion cheaper than get a new tranny? Oh yeah, I did change the fluid, which looked like old oil. (This truck's been sitting up for 5+ years and I only had it a couple months before I killed it.) Transmission's a th350

Thanks

Troy

2. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Troy- I think you know that th350 have gone to the "happy hunting ground". Sorry I have to give you the news you so obviously want to ignore. The color of the T/fluid should be redish and any black deposits spells bad news. Might be an option to replace it with a rebuild unit or good used one.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with BB454 sounds like maybe when you changed fluid you might have done more damage than good ? If it is doing all that I suspect torque converter damage .

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Tranny. The violent unload and then foot to the floor when you hit the ground probably stripped the splines off the stator shaft on the pump where it goes into the Converter. It could have detonated the Fowrd Drive sprag and the parts are wedged in somthing else. Another possiblility is when it slammed into the ground the shift linkage got jamed and broke the linkage to the valve body.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

My brother just ahd this problem opn his 79.not from jumping though.Had all the same problems.It was a small s-shaped clip that connects the linkage to the valve body.All he had to do was pull the pan and fix the 1 dollar piece.Might want to pull the pan off the tranny and look for parts in the pan this will help in find whats wrong.It only takes 10 minutes to remove the pan if nothings in the way.