Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the heck ???15 min = 3hrs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoSmog73, Mar 30, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

What happened to the 15 min u-joint change out on the rear drive line....DAMM....
    I went and got the joint and the parts person gave me the wrong one and got home(my fault not looking first)and went to press it in and s*** The cap is to big for th hole.Back to the store the get the right one and go back home and press this one in and get it all ready to put the clip in and press it a hair's width to get the clip in and that little bit made the joint very hard to move.
    So out it goes and low and behold it was missing 2 needle bearings (yes they were not in there to start with ) and that joint had a chacthy feeling that got worse when it was installed so out it goes..
    Return for another one and then this onw goes in with out a hitch. HOLY CRAP.. What a pain in the wazoo..ok done venting..mike

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

lmao!!!!!!!! glad its not only me that has days like that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif it does get frustrating/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif lol

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Was going to do the front wheel bearings too........ But I think I better leave it alone..HE HE

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mike,

Sorry to hear it dude! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I can definitely relate though....every project I start seems to take WAY longer than I expect. Remember that "gauge installation" I started? Well I'm over 20 hours into it, and I'm STIILL not done. I'm guessing at least another 15 hours to finish the wiring and re-build the gauge cluster for the final time!!!

Someone once told me a "fool proof" method for estimating ACTUAL time on a project: Take your best time estimate....then DOUBLE the number, and go to the NEXT unit-of-measure for time.

Example:

A project that should take 5 minutes, will ACTUALLY take 10 hours!!!!

I'm embarrassed to say how often this has proven true! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob when i did the one ton conversion...i figured 2 weeks at the most...well it sat for 2 weeks untill i could even find axles....then one weekend did the pedals...i dident think they would take that long but almost a full day...then the following day put in the rear end..then the next weekend put the front end in witht he cross over then that sunday pulled the tranny out then the following weekend installed the tranny then rolled it out of the shop then 2 weeks later my wheels finaly show up...what a pain in the ass..

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My truck has been parked for a month for an axle swap, and of coarse now the rims are back ordered...so I am thinking another 2 weeks before it is done, hopefully.

My next thing was the u-joints on the axle shafts for the front end...no problem right, I mean how hard could it be compared changing a driveline u-joint? Well, I have almost trashed one socket completely and the thing has moved only a fraction of an inch...and yes I pulled all the clips. So i guess I'll have to take those to a shop that can press them out /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Has anyone else noticed the direct corelation between the price of a part and the time it takes to install it. A $10 part takes the better portion of a day to put in, while a hundred dollar part takes all of 5 minutes! Man I hate to see a price on a part of less than 20 bucks, because I can be assured that my whole day is shot!!!

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya stupid son of a beech wheel bearings I had to make 2 extra trips to the parts store..
    1.A pick to pull out the cover on the last spindle nut
    2.More grease after my hands were in the middle of putting new grease in the bearings and spindle ( I can see it now greasey hands and wife new car not a pretty site....lol)
    Well I finished the drivers side last night and I will wait till sat for the other side.I am not attempting sheet till then...lol..mike