Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Aug 1, 2001.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

WTF My t-case over heated. its a 205. i was on my way to vegas and smelled gear lube burning, yummy. so i pull over and check it out. my t-case was to hot to tuch and my breather melted away, it pucked gear lube all over the underside of my truck and up the back. i let it cool for over an hour on the side of the road and the yoke to the rear end was so hot that it boiled off water like off a hot header. this morning my front yoke was leaking like mad and left me a nice little pool of gear lube. wtf happend. is it safe to drive back down to tucson?

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

2. JunkYardCrawler

oh andi almost for got i changed the fluid in it this morning to check and see if there was any bits of metal or if i had water in it form hollister and i had niether. i took it for a test drive a few mins ago i had it in 4 hi wiht the hubs locked and something started to make a loud grinding noise. i'm not sure if it came form my front or my t-case.

thanks for all your help.

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

sounds like you ate some bearings up in it.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. JunkYardCrawler

but wouldn't there be some metal in the gear lube if i ate up some bearings? thats what i thought happened and so i checked for metal bits

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Depends on how long you drove it. There is a magnet in the bottom of your case if the pieces are big enough it will have caught most of them. Stick your finger in the drain hole and rub the bottome of the case and see what you feel in there. Also try putting your case in Neutral and hold the rear yoke and turn the front one with your hands if you have more than just the slightest bit of movement then you have problems

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd also put money on creamed bearings - If you are still in Vegas give Drive Line Service of Las Vegas a buzz at (702) 876-3100 - They list remanufactured 205's for $806.25, or a rebuild kit for $222.60. I can also check with the boneyards around here for one, and see what kind of prices I can find.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. JunkYardCrawler

ok cool thanx you guys