Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the heck is it called...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Mar 23, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well it is that cover of some sorts that looks like plastic that covers the flywheel and mounts on the bottom of the tranny.
    Mine is hanging on and the prev. owner tried to just add bigger and bigger and bigger washers to hold it on.I want to get a new one but what's it called ...... Thanks for the info ahead of time.mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's called an inspection cover...some guys call em dust covers. It's just supposed to keep the crap out, but sometimes holds the crap in...like gooey mud./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info I thought thats what it was but not sure /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So is there any benifits for them or against them.
    Other than the mud factor.Will it kill the tranny If it isnt there,that type of ????'s

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've always run one...but I avoid mud. The guys that like mud seem split on whether it helps or leads to problems.

Rene

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine removed his and ran over an old barbed wire fence and the wire got sucked up and wrapped all over around and throught the fly wheel. It was a freekin mess!!!!

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I think that cover was originaly cast aluminum and had a couple of strut rods mounted on it. The plasic one is pass car
    or 2wd.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The torque converter inspection cover came in three different styles, plastic, sheet metal, and aluminum. The plastic and sheet metal ones are for passenger car while the aluminum one is for the K case truck. Make sure of which tranny case you have before you go and buy a cover, the passenger case uses 4 sheet metal screws to attach it to the trans while the K case truck unit uses 6 bolts to attach it. The passenger case can use either the plastic or sheet metal while the K case truck can only use the aluminum style.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> The question is , where do you get one that will bolt right on without having to trim it with snips to fit around the starter ?

9. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I got mine from GM for $20.00 I think?