Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT NOISE?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basscat39, Jun 29, 2004.

1. basscat39

basscat39 Registered Member

I have a truck that is driving me nuts.It is making this whizzing noise while in 2wd-but only up to about 35 mph.Then it stops and sounds fine.I traced it to the front right wheel area and aint really sure what it is.This thing has the auto hubs on it also.I think the hubs trying to engage and then disengage /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif.Any ideas b 4 i get out the /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif ??

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Maybe you have a piece of straw/grass stuck in the rim hanging out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. basscat39

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Basscat-

Occassionally, if you slow down and stop will it clunk, then go away? I had this same problem you mention with a '90 Burb a few years back-turned out to be exactly that-the auto hubs. Hated those things. Had a few local shops attempt to fix it, and a few even repaired then re-repaired under their warranty. I finally had them removed and installed manual hubs, problem was gone for good. I know this doesn't help much, but I think you're right about your problem. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you though-Best of Luck getting it fixed.

Mike

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

my sub was doing the same thing too. I changed out the bearings and the noise went away.

6. basscat39

thanks for the input guys!! for some dumb reason i never even thought about the wheel bearings /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.just had them redone not long ago.i think im just gonna tear it all apart and see what i find.i think it may be the hubs really.thanks again for the info guys!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

mabey its the ultrasonic whizzing backup modurator??? They came stock in most 84 -85 blazers.Yep.They only make that noise from 0-35 mph,and there olny supposed to stop making the noise when you change the wiper fluid.The only other time ive heard of this noise is when you put a playing card in a bycycle wheel.Thank you,thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifWelcome to CK5!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. basscat39

dude-i think thats a ford part aint it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif welcome to ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

its the hubs. Both of mine did it and they DIDN'T work. To bad for me i found out at bad time.....