Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the HECK is this ? *pic posted*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Sep 13, 2002.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

All i know is it is some kind of dual carb setup, but is it a webber or offy or????? it has what looks like in the back to be ports for either a 2 / or 3 cylinder mifold. it is foriegn i think either way if i knew what it was from or was, i could sell it
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif [​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It looks like a set of side draft webers off something like a MG or Sptifire. Might be a set of solex's (sp)

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Look around on it for a Nissan in the casting.I had a dual setup like that that I got off of some Datsun Z car.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Those are Hitachi side draft carburators which came on early datsuns like the 240z. I converted a Porsche 924 over to those using a 1980 Yamaha 850 Special exhaust pipes as an intake manifold with great success. Bosh fuel injection went out on a free car when I was a kid, so.. don't ask!

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

"What the heck is it?"

You got me by the nut-sack!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. uglychevyZZ4

are they good for anything? worth a darn CENT? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Well a friend and I in high school metal shop made a sheet metal intake for his VW to run those carbs .(No,Im not kidding)

Im sure you could figure out some way to run them on yer K5 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

i don't know what they are for but that looks like a propane regulator on the very top of the setup o rit could be a vacuum selenoid

9. uglychevyZZ4

Not likely, im thinking e-bay, but i have no idea what its off of, and what years, ill go look for numbers now ok, ill post what i find.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Cant be off a Z car. IIRC they were all 6 bangers.

Ill have to agree w/ Grimmy. MG or Triumph. Ill look in the morn at the MG and Datsun 1600 we have at the shop. And Ill take a look at the TR7 motors dad has at the house in storage before we go to the shop. If I cant ID them from what we have that I can look at, Ill have my dad (30 plus yrs as an import mechanic) take a look at this post while were at the shop.

11. uglychevyZZ4

ok, and i saw your post in wanted section and for W.I.W : i think that sux dude had you sit on that lift then hosed you for 4wpw /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Only the Brits could come up with a piece of work like that.
    I'm pretty sure its SU carb setup off a mid 70s or later MGB.
    The EGR valve shows its off a smog engine. I dont know what its worth. They didn't perform well. They are a nightmare to tune and keep that way.. A lot of perple just yanked them off and put on dual Webbers.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah they were off a 240Z, they had dual one into three intake mainifolds for the straight six. The black tops on each one are where you add oil for the hydraulic the vaccum controlled secondaries.

"The 240Z was different from the open cars, sharing only its assembly plant and the sugar-scoop headlamps. Rather than the U-series overhead-cam four-cylinder used in the 2.0-liter roadster, U.S. Z cars got a lengthened version of the 510 sedan's L-series, aluminum-head engine. The 2.4-liter inline six shared bore and stroke, rods, bearings, valvetrain and a duplex chain-driven cam with the 1.8-liter four that powered the 510. With higher compression pistons, larger intake valves, more radical cam timing and a pair of Hitachi-SU sidedraft carburetors, it was rated at 150 hp at 6000 rpm, with a 7000-rpm redline."

I used to have a Kit car based on a 240.. loved that car even more than my 510 but theres really no replacement for displkacement. The handling was fun though.

You can buy them new too at http://www.zparts.com/ads/restoration/restore_index.html

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

They are fun and a novelty at best for a small displacmeent engine. There require frequent tuning and eat oil. They performed well at high rpm though but were a pain to keep balanced.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

looks like the MGB stuff to me too