Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the heck!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, May 4, 2004.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

you know, since i bought my truck, the little things that you might usually expect to go wrong do, and you fix them in a hour or so, then the big things start going wrong, then the expensive things. But what pisses me off most are the annoying things. And here's my question.

Mmk, i have an 83 6.2 jimmy, the starter bolt closest to the drivers side had the threads pulled out of the block, not cross threaded, but simply came out with the bolt, and now the bolt doesn't thread completely into the block, and the same thing happened to every flywheel cover bolt, so now my flywheel cover just hangs out on top of my tranny cooling lines and it rattles with every bump. Is there any logic behind this? only thing i can figure for the starter bolt is that when napa gave me the incorect starter bolts, or over torq'in them down. Also, does anybody have any ideas for fixing any of these two problems?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Heli-coils work best for that kind of problem...or if the remaining hole is too large an insert might be better. Do you run the correct starter brace?

Rene

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like they were heli coiled first and you unthreaded them ? Just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

yeah, i think you're right, because theres like 6 of those little coils sittin' in my tool box now. thanks for your input guys!

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

1982-99 (all 6.2 and 6.5) Starter Bolts & starter bracket
    GM 15544950

1982-88 6.2L Starter Support Bracket only
    GM 14028931

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I highly recommend that starter support bracket.

I stopped on day for lunch. Came back out and tried to start the truck and the starter just spun like there was no flex plate. Crawled underneath, and the rear most starter bolt was broke off at the block. I didn't have the support bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Do the 24v starters use the same bracket?

8. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do the 24v starters use the same bracket?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know the bracket should be the same. I know that the starter looks the same from the outside.

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Does anyone have a picture of how the bracket attaches. I have the bracket but can't figure it out.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

does someone have a pic of the bracket? i need to see if I have one.

11. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have a picture of how the bracket attaches. I have the bracket but can't figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I don’t have a picture of the bracket, but I can walk you through the install. The long slot is where the back bolt on the starter goes, it is held on by a nut. The other hole is pointed up and is bolted on to the engine block. Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I don’t have a picture of the bracket, but I can walk you through the install. The long slot is where the back bolt on the starter goes, it is held on by a nut. The other hole is pointed up and is bolted on to the engine block. Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take a look again and see, just couldn't find where it went the the block.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take a look again and see, just couldn't find where it went the the block.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I get some time tomorrow and can see it through my cam I will take a pic for you.
    If not I will give you measurements and descriptions so you can find it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif