Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what the heck...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Oct 1, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've posted several times here about the K5 stalling at red lights. I took it in for a diagnostic scan, no problems. Anyhow, I decided today for some reason to pop it in neutral while at a light and it didn't stall! So, i played around-and it stalls only when in drive at a stop-neutral no problem. Any idea what the heck would cause this???

Its an '87 TBI 305, with auto tranny.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

torque converter not unlocking? anyone?

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

TTT...anyone?

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Some sort of vacuum leak? Would a transmission modulator valve cause this?

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I took it in for a diagnostic scan

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks when you get a mechanic that just wants you to go away. If this shop really wanted too...they could have figured out what was wrong with your truck, but it would cost you some money.

You could have a weak ignition coil, the engine could be flooding, maybe a vacuum leak...it could be a number of things, but I could only guess at what's wrong without actually looking at it myself.

6. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah..i was in the shop when he went thru it. He pulled the tech manual, made sure the vacuum lines were right...sprayed carb cleaner at the base of the TBI said it was good. Plugged it in to the scanner, it read a ok-no codes. He showed me that too. He ended up adjusting the idle speed in hopes it'd help...it seemed to for about 3 stop lights. Now it idles high in neutral/park and sputters in drive/rev like it was doin'. He suggested I change my Air Idle Control Valve, cuz he pulled it to check it out said it looks ok-but thinks its the original.

I've inspected all the vacuum lines, don't see any cracks..they are all seated securely. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing a post about this in the 73-91 forum, this happens to a lot of us TBI guys, me included. I thought it was a vaccum leak also, but to no avail. But I think the general consensous(sp*) was that when everyone was at a long stop, they did exactly what you said, throw it in neutral. Good luck, and keep us updated /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Hehe, I don't know if thats comforting or not. Putting it in neutral works but I would much rather find/fix the problem.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Does your speedo work?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Does your speedo work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're going with that one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you checked your EGR valve?

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my friends 90' jimmy does this also, when it idles(if it does) it sounds like it has a huge cam in it. it dosnt idle for crap, she too took it to like 10 different shops, even put a different throttle bodie on it, still crap. i told her to throw a carb on it and call it done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

as far as i know the EGR is good...can see it move up and down. What would my speedo have to do with anything??(just curious)

14. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    my friends 90' jimmy does this also, when it idles(if it does) it sounds like it has a huge cam in it. it dosnt idle for crap, she too took it to like 10 different shops, even put a different throttle bodie on it, still crap. i told her to throw a carb on it and call it done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I agree and it would proubly be cheeper than all the shop bills. Also less time beating your head agenst the wall /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

check the map sensor...thats what was wrong with mine

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, installed a new MAP sensor no change (the autozone guy refunded me since I bought/changed it/returned it w/in an hour! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) Also got a new TPS...no changes whatsoever. He suggested my torque convertor was lockin up. If thats what it was, if I do a tranny fluid/filter change will it help if that was it? It doesn't slip or anything, shifts nice...don't know why if it was lockin I would have other probs, right?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The tranny fluid smells and looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

TTT...anyone??

18. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

ok this is a maby and sorry to say this happened to my wifes car anc not my k5 but here goes anyway. Iac. motor idel air control motor. tes the car did idel in netural for some reason. put in Iac drove down road and back been fine every sence. one more not sure if this will help and not sure if your mlodel even has this but if it is the converter locking up there should be a plug on top of trans you can unplug keeps converter from locking. can't tell you much about it but have seen it done twice and there still running fine but might want to find out about longterm if any problems.

19. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

the idle air control valve? screws into the TBI? has a 3 prong wire connector? I tried to order one already on recommendation of the mechanic that did my scan/vacuum line check (autozone goofed on the order so didn't replace it)

20. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would unplug the tranny and drive around the block or something to see if it still does it or not. if it stops doing it, then theres your problem

DONT FORGET TO PLUG IT BACK IN, you will burn up the tranny after a while.

if the converter is not unlocking, you need to replace the converter. pm me and i can get you a price for one.