Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the heck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife went out this morning to crank her '86 K-5 and shut her door and the rear electric tailgate window SHATTERED! WTF? It was about 20 degrees but really WTF?

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my friend was geting in my truck once and shut the door (not hard) and the window glass shattered :confused:

maybe its just from the glass being old:confused:

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Old glass? probably not. Never heard of glass being old causing it to break. I've slammed the doors on old stuff from my 69 nova to 31 model A Vicky and never broke one. Tempered glass and non tempered.

Pressurization of the cabin might be the cause, but I've never seen a K5 sealed up so well that air can't escape when the door is shut. Mine leaks air like a sive. It could be that the gate glass was in a bind in the top and the slamming door was enough movement to tweak the glass. The back glass is tempered so any flexing will cause it to shatter into a million pieces. I know mine will roll up in the top weatherstripping funny sometimes, but being a manual window I feel the resistance and see it get stuck. A power window might just keep cramming the glass in the top eventhough it might not be going in straight.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of times the window regulator mechanisms rust up in the back windows, more than likely it wasn't being supported very well.

I've busted a window in a door when it wasn't all the way up, but with the window up all the way, slamming it as hard as I want won't break it.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cold === brittle!??

When I worked at the junkyard,we would sometimes smash out the rear windows of a car we were scrapping,so we could fill the interior with more junk like bumpers and doors of other cars,etc--many times in the summer we would hit the widow real hard with a tire iron,and it would just bounce off!--a few times I could not beleive how hard we had to hit it before they would break!:confused:

But in the frigid weather in the winter,usually it only took a slight tap, and POW!-the window would practically explode!--I think the extreme cold makes the glass more brittle,and also hardens the rubber gaskets enough to prevent any "cushion" effect,it wasnt hard to break a window you were trying to remove for a customer too,unfortunately....we went thru 3 windows before we got one out in one peice on 3 chevy impala's one 10 degree day!--the guy who bought it called the next day--he broke it trying to put it in,and was looking for another one!...:doah: