Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the hell did I just buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Mar 14, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

84 K5 Jimmy. Diesel, auto, pw, pl, cruise(when I rehook it up), a/c(when I rehook it up), 6" lift, dual exhaust, trailer harness(but no hitch), 35" BFG Mud Terrains. That's what it is PHYSICALLY. Odo reads now 240k+ miles(New motor so don't bother mentioning that). I paid $3k for it. I thought it was a good deal considering it had a new motor(new from a GM dealer). Now it's in the shop to have the brakes done. Fronts were gone as well as the rears. I expected that. $250 or so. Now it's a ball joint. Add about $250. Needs new rear wheel cylinders. Add $39. Needs a new master cylinder now. Add $90. We're up to $600 now! What's up with that? What the hell did I buy? Figured it was too good to be true for $3k. And I thought I'd be better off with this GM product that I am currently with a Ford product. Doesn't anybody make a vehicle worth a damn?? Now I can't afford to address the rust(!). I wanted to treat it some to slow it down since it's taken half the rear cross member. Man I shoulda bought that 2001 Accord...

I feel better now.

2. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    A 2001 ACCORD[​IMG] NO
    What you should have bought was a shop manual,
    Every repair you listed is really pretty easy to do youself and at about 1/4 the cost[​IMG]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

240k+ miles and your surprised? I would be surprised if you didn't run into stuff like that on *any* "bargain" vehicle of any brand with those miles. I also wouldn't be surprised if you needed new bushings and ball joints (basically all wear surfaces in the front suspension) along with bearings and u-joints too. I would personally have figured at least $1k into repairs on any high-mileage "bargain" vehicle to bring it up to snuff (assuming the engine was ok). Based on that, so far your ahead but that probably won't last. People who take good care of their stuff usually don't sell at bargain prices.

BTW, that is what pre-purchase inspections are for. I have fooled with these things for years but when I buy something like that, I always take it to a good shop and pay them $50 or so to check it out end to end. You see, when I want something, I tend to look at it through "rose colored glasses". So, I pay them to find things I might not notice. Even then I allow for repairs on something with a quarter million miles.

I'm not trying to tick you off, I'm just being honest. When you get past the initial repairs, you will probably be very happy with it.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I've got about every repair manual known to man kind. YOu need a damn phd to read them. Even the so revered Chiltons sucks!
    Myself? Where? When? I live in an apartment complex and they don't allow that kinda work here. If a vehicle sits derelict for any amount of time, they tow it, no questions asked. And as for myself, well, I'll be the first here to say, HONESTLY, that I won't work on automobile brakes. I almost refuse. Too much liability at stake. Changing rotors and pads is about all I will do.
    If anyone here want's a diesel K5, let me know. I may turn around and sell this thing. I need to go somewhere and scream now. I recognize this isn't the place so I'll leave.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

the shop might be screwing you. GM's are awsome! My truck sat for 2 years and it fired right up! With anything, it depends on how well it was taken care of. So you have to keep that in concideration. A shop manuel is a great investment. You can do a lot by yourself and then if you want to take it to a shop you'll know when they take advantage of you. Don't get fed up. Remember, with ANY older vehical, it will need some TLC, but it will pay you back when it kicks a new truck's a$$ all over! One time I paid 3500 for a blazer and 6 months later the tranny went out. 2 months after that the engine went out, so count your lucky stars if that's all you have to do. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Anything with that many miles on it is going to have some problems. Installing a new engine doesn't suddenly make the rest of the vehicle new. [​IMG] That thing's travelled the equivalent of 10 trips around the world!

Think of your K5 like a woman, you have to take the pleasure with the pain. [​IMG] (Here it comes from the ladies!!!) [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Well, bad dog, you about hit my foible right on the head. I was so excited that I was finally going to get a 4x4 I did over look quite a few things. As for the wear surfaces, the 6" lift was put on less than 6 months ago so many bushings were changed. Some of the leaf spring bushings look kinda green so they may be poly. I won't know till I wash it.
    Actually, you're right, I shouldn't be surprised. And, really, I"m not. I knew the front and rear brakes were bad. But the whole damn system??? That's the part that pisses me off. I can only be thankful it wasnt' abs.
    And add $250 for the tranny work and I"m closer to that $1000 than you know.

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Like a woman? If that's the case, she's beating the hell out of me right now!

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Women get more pain from men than visa versa. Don't you know? PMS stands for Putting up with Men's [censored]. Ha ha!!! Man! We're always having to tell ya'll what to do! Sheesh! Don't worry Harry...you'll get what's coming to ya[​IMG]

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

10. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Honestly reading those manuals aren't all that hard. I'm 18 and have had my Jimmy for 2 1/2 years and I've personally put a motor, trans, 3/4 ton axles, and a 6" lift on it (not to mention a ton of other little things). I have probably $2 grand in tools I've collected for doing the jobs and other stuff... yeah, alot of money on tools but every time I get in the truck I'm glad that I know if I break down in the middle of nowhere I can fix most stuff (I've broken down 3-4 times, all stock wiring problems, and only once have I not had the tools with me and that was a pain to get them). I'd rather have an old truck that's easy to fix than a new car that only a dealer can fix. Don't give up on it... I know what you're going through. I bought an '89 Jimmy w/ 120,000 mi. on it and the trans went 3 mos. later along w/the engine a couple days after when I was trying to take it to a shop. I've found more rust than I can imagine (it's not bad on the outside at all) and now I'm looking for a new tub. Trust me, these things are fun to have people gawk at, let alone driving them.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

11. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

more like MEN.........You can't live with them..................and (unfortunately................................)you can't live with out them.

[​IMG]<font color=purple>Wayne's Muddy Wife</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>Donna</font color=purple>

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

13. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Yes we definately put up with more than neccessary. WHY?????? Maybe because we haven't come to our sense's yet....Or maybe it is because we love them.....or maybe because ...oh he!! just because........Oh no there goes that PMS kickin in.........LOL! ! ! ! !
    Not to mention that we usually have to tell them what to wear....... How to wear it............ and what matches it...It is almost as bad as dressing my children. LOL! ! ! They only difference..............He's bigger............LOL! ! ! And yes PMS is ALL a male thing. If it weren't for men...we wouldn't suffer from it......LOL! ! !

14. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Whoa, there, Wayne's wife...I think you need to sit down for a minute. Put down the Midol and take some Dramamine.

15. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yes, jcg, some of that I thought of, too, as I've run into that before with my Thunderbird. But, I can't tell them to wait while I run out and buy the part to give to them. The only upward looking thing now is work guarentee. It better be a good one. I'll be dammed if I'm they're gonna tell me they won't fix something related that brakes some time from now. For this kinda money, that braking system better last another 237k miles.

16. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

NewK5Guy:
    Have felt the same at times with my '87. Running out of things to fix - just kidding (don't want to jinx it now!!) But I still LOVE my Blazer. A Honda???!!!????

Hi Donna: Know whatcha mean ... I gotta keep guy happy so he keeps fixing my truck :) Much rather fix that sandwhich than those brakes! Some days I'd just rather be Harriott (as in Ozzie and ) than Wonder Woman.

17. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Whoa! ! ! Chill out! ! ! It was a joke. HA HA HA! ! ! Sorry if I offended you, but I'm sure other's around here can relate. I was just adding my $0.02 worth.

18. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

also with the 6" lift get a steering brace for the frame from ORD save lots of hassle later on

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

19. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Hey just have to put my 2 cents in. I have a Jimmy, it is my second one. I also have a Honda Accord, which i drive daily to work. I HATE MY HONDA. I can not wait till my Jimmy is ready to be driven daily... I would rather pay 4 times as much in gas, than have to drive that little low to the ground car that no one gives a *&*() if they cut off. With my old blazer i could fly down the freeway and anyone in front of me would move out of my way Quick!!! My honda doesn't intimidate flys.

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ok guys... coming from an auto tech... here is the deal... one look at what you are buying... brands matter... a cheesey no-nome/pronto/Napa(soso) parts might be 10 bucks and a Raybestos or Wagner might be $20 or $25. Plus I will say nothing pisses a shop off more then owner's parts... I know at my shop when an owner brings in a part labor goes up between 10 to 15 an hour and there is No warrent period! All shops get parts at a discount because they buy in large quanties, often, etc. This is one way the shop stays in business... the tech make pretty much nil on parts... so I'd take it up w/ the owner of the place. Ask about what alternatives there are for parts... For me I have standards... I will use cheap parts...but only to a point... If it says Cardone, Automate, Champion/splitfire... plugs, wires, etc. I just won't install it... I don't want to see customers come back or have problems and I really owe Snap-on too much money to work for free. So you want that crap take it to the hack down the street or screw it up yourself. Sorry to vent, but I get really sick of people telling me crap like this... don't like? Don't let the door knob hit ya on the way out. I don't tell my Dr. what brand drugs to perscribe me... I don't argue over what kinda parts a guy is putting in my heater or AC at home... I don't know and I'm trusting them to pick the right stuff to fit my needs and rectify any future problems that are related. BTW the prices you have seem to be pretty decent... not sure what shop labor is around there.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI