Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What the Hell is the matter with U2 Halftime Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Glock Girl, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

OK U2 pissed me off with the halftime show. It was a very nice thing with the WTC tribuite but for Bono s? to open his jacket at the end and have a American Flag sewn into the lining That is pure BS. With all the millions in development this show must have had they could not find some 11 year old boy scout( or any real patriot) to tell them that this is DISRESPECTFULL TO THE AMERICAN FLAG!!!!!! What the hell is the matter with people. He might as well have burned it or spit on it same differance.

Shelby
    88 K5

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

U2? I thought the Playmates on Fear Factor was the halftime show. Who's this U2 again? LOL

Gotta say though, best superbowl EVER. what an upset. Everyone in this house was happy! HAHAHAHA to rams fans.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I see a difference between burning or defacing a flag in malice and wearing one in an attempt to display one's patriotic feelings. But, maybe thats just me [​IMG]

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com
    Speed limits? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/p-sl.html>http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/p-sl.html</a>

4. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

I dont watch football and i dont like U2 , he he he

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

american iron rules!

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just think he was trying to show patriotic feelings for us... I own a denim jacket with one sewn inside. Been there for years. I never thought once about it being a sign of disrespect. If I thought that it'd never been in there to begin with....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I thought it was more of a sign of respect than disrespect. He was showing he cared for the US, even though he's Irish.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</a>

7. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

Here is an excerpt about American Flag rules and regulations

Sec. 4.
    That no disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America -- the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

The entire text may be found at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html>http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html</a>

Shelby
    88 K5

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Right on Glock Girl!!!!!!!!! after the 9/11 attacks myself and some friends and family members checked out the same site cause we wanted to show the colors but we didn't want to disrespect the flag either every one should check it out.
    Corey 78K5

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When the heck were those rules written? In the 1800s sometime??? And do they apply to non-American citizens?

A foreigner came to your country and chose to display YOUR flag instead of his own- isn't that worth something????? Maybe he should have worn the Iranian flag instead.........Would that have been better????[​IMG]

I for one would have felt proud if he came up here and had a Maple Leaf sewn into his jacket.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: What the Hell is the matter with U2 Halftime Rant *DELETED*

Post deleted by JK5

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think you need to follow your own advice about thinking before you post when you reply in that monor...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

12. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

gotta disagree.

bono's an artist ( everything after joshua tree sucks, but hey that's MY opinion..), you know good and well there was no malicious intent to the way he presented our flag.....

same as if he spit on it or stomped it? i'd say not even close, since he didn't get bum-rushed and had his ass kicked inside out by tons of drunken superbowl spectators....

nevertheless, it's an interesting debate, as you have pointed out there's a protocol ( be it of questional validity or relativity in these times) that's been breached.

remember that black crowes album with that chick's flag-covered muff??? now that's a wee bit more scandalous.....

greg

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

13. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Hmm...I can think of a hundred other things to direct my anger at:
    The fact that there are starving children in our world.
    Poverty
    The Government
    Child molesters that go free
    Fathers or Mothers who don't pay child support
    Taxes
    Health insurance rates
    Murderers who get a slap on the wrist
    Religious leaders who harbor priests who commit sex crimes
    Vegetarians. Especially those who wear leather(cowhide) shoes[​IMG]
    Volvo drivers[​IMG]
    Carnivores who eat salads[​IMG]
    But Bono? Nope.

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

what about mothers who dont pay child support?

ugh. taxes.

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

There's alot of decent veggies, just like there's alot of decent carnivores [​IMG]

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com
    Speed limits? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/p-sl.html>http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/p-sl.html</a>

16. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Just throwing a bit of humor in the post. I really could care less what vegans do or don't eat. *ducks as eggplant goes wizzing by head* just making a point and trying to keep it light at the same time(difficult to accompish around here lately, if ya know what I'm saying!)[​IMG]

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

17. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

If you would re read the post, you would see that it says Fathers or mothers that don't pay child support.

<font color=purple>If you want life to run smoothly...You must grease it with some ATTITUDE!!!!</font color=purple>

18. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Personally...I think what was done was shown as a symbol that he supports America. Like some one else said...he could have come up there displaying his flag or much worse. He could have come up there burning ours... Just my opinion

<font color=purple>If you want life to run smoothly...You must grease it with some ATTITUDE!!!!</font color=purple>

19. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Donna, I edited the post to be "P.C." He was right and I should have had it there. Mike, don't be mad, she's one of the good ones[​IMG]

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

It's never too late to have a happy childhood[​IMG]

20. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

looks like you edited the post. it didnt read mothers and fathers when I read it.. either way I dont care im just screwin around and dont feel like starting more flame wars on this forum.. m.j. and 84chevyK10 are doing a fine job !

mike